PDA

View Full Version : Golden dwarf moray eel video

fishoholic
09-19-2009, 04:25 PM
I was reading up on Golden dwarf moray eels and I found this cool video on YouTube. Thought I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VaS4jIf52Q

naesco
09-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I was reading up on Golden dwarf moray eels and I found this cool video on YouTube. Thought I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VaS4jIf52Q

I had a dwarf moray eel (about 7inches) of the same species and size except not the golden.
They are an interesting eel to have as the reality is only a few aquarists have a tank large enough to accommodate the regular ones.
It ate shrimp pellets and had no problem finding them whereever I dropped them in the tank.
I did not observe it going after the shrimp, snails and hermit crabs in the tank.

The video is defineately not what you want to do if you get one.

1. You never unless and emergency) place your hand in the tank as you pollute the tank.
when you do that.
2. Morays can't chew so you would never feed the eel whole small fish or large pieces of fish as you see done in the video. Very small morsels only.

You can order the dwarf moray eels that are not the expensive golden variety at the LFS.
G.melatremus (It is greyish/greenish with faint yellow lines on it) You have to be specific as the LFS will make a mistake and order in the wrong species. They come from Indonesia.
Dwarf moray eels are an excellent choice for a new addition to your tank.

fishoholic
09-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Ya, the video was just neat to see the moray moving around. I was mostly thinking of Tony and how much he likes pic.'s/vid.'s of them. If I ever get one I have long feeding tweezers I can use. Plus the pair I'm thinking about maybe getting (a friend of mine has had them for about a year) are eating mysis that is dumped into their tank.

I'm just debating on weather to set up a separate system for them or risk putting them in my reef when I don't have a lid on it. Obviously I'm leaning towards setting up a separate system that will be secured with a lid etc. But then I know a few people on here who keep them in their reef tanks without a lid and have had one for quite awhile with no problems, which makes me wonder if I should bother with a separate tank.....

FYI on a side note I have been vodka dosing and doing lots of water changes and my water quality is doing ok now.

naesco
09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Ya, the video was just neat to see the moray moving around. I was mostly thinking of Tony and how much he likes pic.'s/vid.'s of them. If I ever get one I have long feeding tweezers I can use. Plus the pair I'm thinking about maybe getting (a friend of mine has had them for about a year) are eating mysis that is dumped into their tank.

I'm just debating on weather to set up a separate system for them or risk putting them in my reef when I don't have a lid on it. Obviously I'm leaning towards setting up a separate system that will be secured with a lid etc. But then I know a few people on here who keep them in their reef tanks without a lid and have had one for quite awhile with no problems, which makes me wonder if I should bother with a separate tank.....

FYI on a side note I have been vodka dosing and doing lots of water changes and my water quality is doing ok now.

I had my dwarf moral eel for 6 months before I sold it. It only inhabited the rock work on the bottom of the tank and when I fed pellets to my other fish it would swim along the bottom towards where the pellets fell. I never observed it swimming near the top of the tank so I don't think they have the escape artist problem of the larger morays. I think they are too short to jump out. I would not bother with another tank unless you are considering another tank for another reason.
PM me if you help to find the non golden one.

fishoholic
09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I had my dwarf moral eel for 6 months before I sold it. It only inhabited the rock work on the bottom of the tank and when I fed pellets to my other fish it would swim along the bottom towards where the pellets fell. I never observed it swimming near the top of the tank so I don't think they have the escape artist problem of the larger morays. I think they are too short to jump out. I would not bother with another tank unless you are considering another tank for another reason.
PM me if you help to find the non golden one.

Hummm...... Good to know, that is my understanding of their behavior and as far as I know (and have observed) my friend's pair (that I want to buy) do stay in the rock work at the bottom of the tank. They are eating well and he's had them for about a year.