PDA

View Full Version : Anemone allergic reaction.

Stevey87
09-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I own a green BTA and I touch the tentacles allt he time for feeding. As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything. Today I touched Stichodactyla Gigantea, Gigantic Carpet Anemone, and I didn't get rash or anything on fingers. I was unpleasantly surprised when I thouched it with bare fingers it stuck itself to my fingers. Anyways, hours after I feel like throwing up and neck feels a little 'stuck' or 'blocked'. I used gloves right after. Is this common light allergic reaction or maybe I have the swine flu!!! :surprise:

icecool217
09-18-2009, 08:41 AM
did you have any wounds on your hands? Some corals are toxic in nature. You may have been poisoned.

Stevey87
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
No, the two fingers that touched it just feel dried out.

icecool217
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
This is a giant carpet sea anemone(Stichodactyla gigantea). When fishes go within touching range near them,the anemone's tentacles will shoot out toxic spines(similiar to a jellyfish)and the tentacle will stick to the fish,injecting toxins into the fish.Then,the tentacles will drag the fish directly to the center of the anemone,where the mouth is located.Sometimes,anemone shrimps or clownfishes(the most famous clownfish in the 21st century,Nemo) are found here.The anemone protects them,the little critters bring food to it.So far,we didn't see any anemone shrimps or clownfishes in there.Probably off to look for food,or they didn't make it back.

http://aquaticwhispers.blogspot.com/2009/06/pulau-semakau-trip1st-of-june.html

any chances that you touch your mouth or an open wound? I've only experienced something similar with xenia but no stiffness. Just the smell that made me sick and wanted to vomit.

findingnemo1
09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
When i mess with mine i get welts wherever it touches me and then they actually scab over. I have scars on my hands from them. Be very careful as i am sure if anything you are having an allergic reaction. And gloves with them are very hard as they are so sticky:)
I have noticed if i rub my face or anything after the fact i get itchy wherever i have touched as we'll.
So they are potent little buggers.LOL
Hope you are okay and feeling better today!!

soapy
09-18-2009, 05:02 PM
My wife got me some of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,42407,33240,10264&p=10264

They work great, you can just pull them inside out to get off and on for reuse. I don't stick my hands in without gloves very often now.

Stevey87
09-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I only touched it a couple of times. I knew jellyfish have small needles that they inject when they touch you, but I didn't know this anemone worked like that. I'm going to wear gloves when I touch them from now on.

I fed it krills and it's eating very well. The carpet stickiness is on another level compared to BTA or maybe my BTA lost its stickiness? I only get slimey feel from touching BTA.

Anyways thanks for the replies.

FitoPharmer
09-19-2009, 01:40 AM
a carpet is the great white shark of anemones, the top predator! a BTA, its more comparable to a really mean cat. maybe a dog, but i would say more like a cat. :mrgreen: WERE GUNNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT :twised: salsa shark anyone?.... wow im feeling silly today.