PDA

View Full Version : Fraging soft corals

clowntrigger
08-11-2003, 09:23 PM
ok anyone know how to frags soft corals. i got a piece of a coral that i want to attach to a small rock, only problems is that it got a long trunk ( not sure if that what you call it ) and at the botton it dried up and with it being that long it make it hard to attach to a rock. can i just trim it shorter ? if so how do i trim it with siccors ? or will that harm the coral ? also can i just use regular crazy glue gel to attach it . i not sure how good it will stick to it though softies i kinda slimmy. lets hope i post this message in the right spot this time kinda a web newbie as well.

MalHavoc
08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
I often frag softies with a pair of sharp scissors or a razor blade. How I attach depends on what I'm fragging. Sometimes I use cyanoacrylate glue, other times I push the end of the coral into a hole in the rock and put epoxy around it to seal it. For mushrooms, I'm partial to monofilament fishing line, and a sewing needle.

sumpfinfishe
08-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Crazyglue for most softies will not work, as soft corals tend to shed off too much mucus or simply retract tissue. As Jason mentioned above, it all depends on what your fragging. I use blades to slice muchrooms, epoxy to anchor branches of stony corals to base rock, elastic bands to hold down gorgonian mats or green star polyps, pierceing holes of base rock for thin branch corals such as gorgonians or sea whip, nylon and thread for sinularia and leathers, crazyglue for hard and sps corals, and strong current and pieces of base rock for other situations. There are many ways to frag corals, the most important thing is to be sure of what your fragging- thus this will let you use the best method for the job. :biggrin:

cheers, Rich