PDA

View Full Version : Clear water

Abe
09-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Good Day All, I keep looking at all the aquarium pictures and I be amazed of how clear is the water, I can't get my tank to be this clear. I have good flow in my tank. It is 65G 36" long, with 2 power heads and an overflow. Also my lighting seem for of a yellow colour, I have 2x250w MH but I cant get the clear nice colour like you guys have. Any suggestions? thanks.

The Codfather
09-18-2009, 01:50 AM
What type of mh bulbs are you burning? I am using ushio 14k right now and i even find these too yellow, i will be changing out to 20k soon. Also what type of filtration and skimmer are you running, this may contribute to the problems of your color. When are you off nights Abe, send me a pm, i have a couple of corals for you.
Bob

Abe
09-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Hey Bob, how things are going. I am running a 14k as well not sure what brand but I also have 2 new bulbs I might replace with, the ones i am using now are over a year old now and I hear that we suppose to replace bulbs once a year? I also have a 30G sump with ceramic pieces, Aqua C remora skimmer, live rocks and live sand as a last filtration. Tomorrow is my last night shift, I was planning to Pm you so we can get together this weekend or early next week if thats ok with you.

Abe

The Codfather
09-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Let me know,
Bob

mseepman
09-18-2009, 05:14 AM
From the discription in your signature, your light sounds like an Odessya fixture or a Coralife Fixture.

The First of the two is a very budget fixture that comes with a few weak points that often result in a yellowish light. With a little elbow grease and a few dollars, this fixture can be made into quite a good one. There are a lot of threads about their stuff but take it with grain of salt.

If it's a Coralife, then I'm guessing that the bulbs may just need replacing.

globaldesigns
09-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I use 14K pheonix bulbs, they are very nice and blue... also running 50/50 actinics with it.

If your bulbs are over a year old, I would definately replace... when I did mine, I couldn't believe how yellow my old bulbs where until the new ones were put in.

Van-rookie
09-18-2009, 06:14 AM
I have a aquamedic aquaspacelight fixture 2x250 MH + 2 pc.
The previous owner told me that I only need to change the bulb when it starts flickering. true :question:

subman
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
The previous owner told me that I only need to change the bulb when it starts flickering. true :question:

Definitely FALSE if you want to grow anything.

fishoholic
09-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Not true, bulbs should be replaced once a year.

mseepman
09-18-2009, 05:29 PM
And if you use low cost bulbs, more than once a year!

I also don't find PC's lasting a year no matter which ones I buy...they really only go 8 months with any strength.