PDA

View Full Version : realy making it hard to buy local (as in Canada)

StirCrazy
09-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Well, I am thinking of getting a system running in the next while.. not going to do the monster that I was originaly planning, common sence prevaled :mrgreen:, but instead a large nano or somthing up to say 55 gal.

I was curious avout the JBJ 28gal HQI, so I did some searching.. I found a store in Victoria that sells it for just under 800.00, but in the US I found it at a couple places for 400.00 and change, and one even mentioned shipping to Canada for 200.00 so that comes to 600.00 US which right now would be about 660 to 700. so I save almost 100.00 bucks ordering it from the US and that is with 200 in shipping.. what a rip off to buy it in canada as that price is befor shipping.. I know I have been doing this for a long time and I have seen this befor, but it still amazes me how much our canadian retailers are ripping us off on things once and a while.

Sorry just needed to vent

Steve

Sebae again
09-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Good point but do Canadian retailers have other expenses such as duty.What if you have a problem with it? What is the cost to get it returned?

banditpowdercoat
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Alot also depends on when and where the Cdn retailer got the item. How much did the retailer pay for it? Profit margin? And, the real nasty thing is how long have they had it? If somethings sat on store shelf for a while, the retail price can drop, making other places cheaper. The seller who bought it "high" isnt gona jump on selling it "low" but eventually, they will have to take a loss to sell it, if the retail price keeps droping.

mseepman
09-18-2009, 02:32 AM
I'd have to check but I think AJ's in Vernon is selling the 28G HQI for around $725 or so...not sure but I can check for you.

sharuq1
09-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Or you could try and see if Golds would ship. They say they will beat anyone's price and every time I have been they are always the cheapest.

globaldesigns
09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
I had one of those tanks, they are a nice setup... $800 bucks is the going rate in Canada, and that is what I also paid.

Remember US products are cheaper, but it does cost for shipping, insurance and of course the duty. If you have never shipped from the U.S. duties can sometimes really cost you... If you ship things using USPS (US Mail) then duties tend to only be $5, but I don't think you will be able to ship that using them.

Another point brought up is warranty, if brought across the border then it is grey market, and with no warranty.

For example, my JBJ chiller for the unit failed, because I bought it here, I got it replaced by the LFS... If from the U.S. you probably have a $450 door stop.

In my opinion, just by Canadian and you won't have any problems.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Pssst, chx_101 is selling her system for $700 I believe. Its in the Classified section. 3 months old only and with a new Phoenix bulb.

Anthony

Veng68
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
You have to figure 12% taxes duty owning and then $35-50 brokerage fees from the couriers (unless that $200 includes the fees) and minor fluctuations in exchange.

I'd say it comes out almost even.

Cheers,
Vic

wickedfrags
09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I know what you mean. I am shopping for a couple Denon audio-video components now. Denon USA put the MSRP on the Denon USA website, but they do not put the MSRP on the Denon Canada site. Compare the two - Denon in Canada is much more expensive.

I would ask your Canadian stores for a break on the price if there is that much difference. I rarely pay the sticker price on a significant purchase if it significantly higher than I can find elewhere, and find a way to buy the significant things locally (support your stores, local in case there is a problem, and still getting a fairly close price).

Good luck on the purchase.

Also - if you try online to save some money check the BBB online for their track record. Some places are just not worth the risk to save a little cash.

Thinking about business (and in line with the reference to the BBB I recently learned about while researching a car part):

"During my 55 orbits around the sun, I've found this adage regarding business, customers want three things: Quality, Customer Service, and Price. Now, pick which two you would like, because all three don't exist at the same time".

I find this to be true a I shop for a home entertainment system...

StirCrazy
09-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok some people are defending the canadian retailers here with out understanding what I am saying I guess.. the fact is that most stuff is actualy a similar price. what I am saying is that once and a while something comes along that is a blatant rip off in Canada. the JBJ tank is one of them. usaly it is on things that not many places carry so they can raise the price in that area with no fear of competition.

As for warranties, they are valid across borders as long as you can buy it in both countries.. I have done several online purchasing accross borders and use warranty on a few of them. you may have to use the 1800 number but you can get it done with a minimal cost as usually they just want the broken part returned.. A few car part places I have dealt with even sent return postage for the part to be sent back with the replacement. my aquarium parts they just said throw the broken part away it isn't worth shipping back to us. So there can be good places to deal with. In fact I have gotten better after sale service from a couple online US retailers than I have at local places.

As for shipping call the place and ask if they will ship USPS and explain why. 9 out of 10 times they will make exceptions to their Fedex or UPS only rules and ship USPS for you.

I still prefer to shop locally, but sometimes you just can't.

Steve