PDA

View Full Version : any intrest in dry base rock?

i have crabs
09-16-2009, 02:25 AM
i need some rock to do the back wall of my 300g so i ordered 50lbs from bulkreef supply to check it out, its really quite nice rock problem is i didnt really ask for sizes or anything so i got mosty large chunks that would be a shame to cut to pieces, anyway bulkreef is having a sale on rock so im thinking about buying 150-200lbs but since i have to cut it up some pieces wont be anygood to me and im shure ill have alot of extra rock i wont need,
so if i do order this pile of rock is anyone intrested in the rock i dont use? ill sell it for what it costs me which will be in the $3.50-$4.00/lb range by the time you add the exchange/tax/shipping, i want to order by thursday night to make shure it ships on friday and i dont wanta drop $800 on rock if im gonna end up with 50-100 extra pounds

lastlight
09-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Wish I could join you but it's bad timing for me...otherwise I would. Please post pictures of your order when you get it as well as your steps in making that rock wall happen. You left me pretty inspired earlier...WHO KNOWS =)

i have crabs
09-16-2009, 04:22 AM
im not really looking for people to go in with as much as just wondering if i end up with a pile of base rock is anyone gonna buy the stuff off me or not,
as for the rock wall ill never build a tank without one again, feel free to come check out the wall in my cube anytime just do it before you fill that tank with water cause youll regret it if you dont

lastlight
09-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Which rock are you getting? You say base rock but that doesn't mean it's ugly or less porous does it? It's just the fiji/eco rox right?

If you have leftovers and I can convince the wife I'm sure I can swing some man. I know for a fact I'm ordering mine from there when the time comes.

Delphinus
09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I could probably buy a bit of ya too there if you had any leftovers. Honestly though, I doubt you'd have much problem unloading any of it on the marketplace.

lastlight
09-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm really stoked to see this rock wall. Are you covering the back 100% with a couple holes for powerheads like your other tank?

i have crabs
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
the tank is 8' long so ill probably leave 5 holes across the back for vortec's and maybe 1 hole on each corner for a tunze, but the rest of the wall will basically be covered,
i kinda figured it would sell alright but since i just bought another new car im not really wanting to drop the money on rocks, normally im quite wastefull with my fish spending and wouldnt give a squat about it but $1500 a month in car payments kinda ruined my fish budget

the last batch i bought was the fiji eco rock and its basicly fiji live rock that is just dried out,
the stuff thats on sale is a mixture of different kinds of rock but if you buy 125lbs you get 25lbs free so it might be worth it since ill be cutting half of it shreads anyway

lastlight
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Are you planning to attach them directly to the glass again or are you installing a secondary mounting surface just in case you want to remove them?

i have crabs
09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
im putting them driectly on the glass again

soapy
09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
So you glue the rock to the back glass? Or just stack it up there? Do you have any pictures? I am interested since I might do something similar in future.

andestang
09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I've been looking for some dead rock for awhile,so I'd be intereted. Not into buying live anymore as I'm not into adding any with bad hitchhikers to my existing rock. Let me know.

i have crabs
09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
theres some info in my build thread for my cube,
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45915

pictures dont really do it justice cause the rocks in the tank blend in with the background in the pics but in person it really looks nice, looking at 12" of nasty glass wall covered in crud always kills the look of a nice tank, even though it can be a bit of work the rocks on the back wall looks way better as far as im concerned,only annoying thing so far is every hermit in my tank is now living in my overflow.

andestang
09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Just checking if you're still thinking about ordering :)

couchrugby2
09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I will buy some off you

couchrugby2
09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I'll buy some off you.

i have crabs
09-18-2009, 12:15 AM
i ordered 150lbs,ill get it in about 10-14 days probably, once i see what i get i can decide what im keeping and what i dont need.

Fishward
09-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Do you need any cement? how are you planning to fasten it all together? I just built a wall for my 33gal Hex and ive got a load of cement left over. it cured underwater in about 2 weeks and im getting no pH impact anymore. I can send you pictures if you want to see how it turned out.

Cheers!

lastlight
09-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Please share the pics!

Fishward
09-22-2009, 03:19 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=192

here are a few of right when i finished putting it together. The concrete color has softened quite a bit already. have some pictures of it in my tank but i cant find my DL cable for my camera. ill get em into the album as soon as i find it.

just cycling now with a few pieces of LR to seed. :-)
its in the tank upright like you see on the one on the left.

updated... one or two ok shots of the wall.

lastlight
10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Any updates?

Fishward that wall you made looks incredible.

Fishward
10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Any updates?

Fishward that wall you made looks incredible.

Thanks!
Well ive had it running about a month now.. has been a less than orthodox start compared to stuff i read. I have not been able to test and nitrate at all.. im talking zeros.. but with the ammount of LR and die off i had, theres no way i haven't cycled. Got a Turbo, 3 "spiney snails"? (slower, smaller, and spikey looking) and 2 hermits. have had them for about a week now to try to get the hair algae under control. just got a mushroom which seems to be enjoying himself, but also picked up a peppermint shrimp to take out some aptasia, but he died after 2 days. :-( and didnt eat a single onE!!!1!! not sure what the problem was, as everyone else seems to be doing just fine..
pH is a bit high but whenever i test it over 8.4 i put a few drops of vinegar in and i hope it will slowly be less necessary (as the cement cures further) will put up a few more pictures if people are interested..

lastlight
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Fishward I appreciate the info. Sounds like you're having fun with your new obsession!

I was actually harassing i have crabs for an update haha.