PDA

View Full Version : Green Bubble tip anemone...not thriving

JPotter
09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a pair of clowns in a 29 biocube with compact fluorescent/actinic lighting. I purchased a GBTA and put it on a rock in a bright area (I was concerned the light may be inadequate). It moved higher up and in a crevice (less light than where I had put it)..it would suck in there at night and expand during the day. The clowns initially ignored it but a porcelain crab claimed it for its own. I feed the GBTA bits of seafood 2x weekly. After a couple of weeks the clowns decided they liked it but the feeling didn't appear mutual and the anemone moved..deeper into the darkness. It still accepted food. Then it moved to the back wall..the darkest place in the tank. After a few days I removed it, carefully acclimated to my larger tanks water and placed it in on a rock close to the bottom but with good light. I cut the strong power heads so it wouldn't get too much flow. The next morning I found it in a crevice on the bottom at the side near the back of the tank. I can't reach it...can just see it. It is expanded but not fully, it is still green colored (not bleached). I tried to float some seafood in its direction but it did not grab it.
Can I do anything to help it thrive or just wait and see. If it dies will it float up to where I can get it out?
PS..I also a rose BTA in that tank...it has never moved from where I 1st put it, tolerates the clown fish and eats well...it really is quite lovely.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Leave it alone. I think many anemones die from reefers moving them about and trying to impose our wills on these creatures. I found that mine may disappear into a dark spot for a while, but eventually comes back out. If its inflating and eating, then don't try moving it. You'll end up killing it.

Anthony

JPotter
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks..it seems it moved itself yet again..you would think it was in realestate..now it is higher up, still in a crevice behind some zoas. I am trying to track its where abouts but not touching it.
Also I purchased a copper banded butterfly in hopes it would eat some of my abundant aptaisia. It seemed to eat mysis at the store but isn't eating at all in my aquarium even though it is, at this time, active and alert. Someone on canreef suggested live black worms but the local LFS not only didn't carry them but didn't seem to know what I was asking for. Would a fresh water fish store have them or where might I find some?

fkshiu
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
I used to get blackworms at the LFS by Hastings and Nanaimo. Not sure if it is still there.

JPotter
09-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks..I found some at Noah's Ark on Broadway but the fish was pretty much deceased when I got home. My daughter's fresh water puffers are in for a treat.

BC Mosaic
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I used to get blackworms at the LFS by Hastings and Nanaimo. Not sure if it is still there.

Yes, it is still there.

What might be closer to JPotter is the fresh water LFS (can't remember the name) on the north side of Broadway 1/2 block west of Macdonald in Kits. Nice guy and carries all sorts of live foods.

Veng68
09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes, it is still there.

What might be closer to JPotter is the fresh water LFS (can't remember the name) on the north side of Broadway 1/2 block west of Macdonald in Kits. Nice guy and carries all sorts of live foods.

Isn't that Noah Pet Ark (but that's on the south side of Broadway).

Cheers,
Vic

BC Mosaic
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Isn't that Noah Pet Ark (but that's on the south side of Broadway).

Cheers,
Vic

Yes, that's it.
It is definitely on the south side - a few doors down from the gas station (if the gas station is still there) - my mistake. thanks

JPotter
09-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Yes..it is and Grahame stayed until 8PM:) I got the worms but the fish was dead when I got home. Grahame is so helpful...we use his store for our FW and frog stuff.

JPotter
09-17-2009, 04:00 AM
PS the anenome has stayed in the same place for 2 days tucked behind a zoa encrusted rock. Not fully expanded but still see the green tentacles.