PDA

View Full Version : Uncured silicone problem....

robert
09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Half way through building of my new sump I run out of silicone. Being lazy to travel the distance to LFS where I originally bought All Glass brand, I bought a tube of GE RTV100, that turned out to be old, and wouldn't cure. Stupid me for not checking the tube until afterwards.

I've removed all the uncured silicone and washed what was left with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Now, I'm curious if I still can use the sump, since I'm pretty sure some traces of uncured silicone are still present. Will it be toxic to reef life?

Please let me know your thoughts.

ferret
09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll remove the silicone and purchase another new tube to finish the work and not worthwhile for taking any risk of water leakage and out bleach of toxic material to the reef life

banditpowdercoat
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Never heard of an old tube of silicone, and not curing? I have tubes that are years old and still work.

Still, clean as best you can. let sit for a few days/week. It can take a long time for the vinegar smell to subside.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
If there are any traces left visible, remove. Then I would use painter's tape to expose where you want to silicone but a few mm wider than originally, so the old silicone is covered up completely with the new silicone. Slather on the aquarium safe new silicone on thick (its a sump so it doesn't matter how it looks) and I would think the sump will be fine. A thick layer of the new silicone should prevent any traces from leaching into the sump (although after a thorough rinse) you could test it out by filling with saltwater and testing it with a frag or something before installing it on your system.

Anthony

robert
09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've also seen some people suggesting to use Acetone for cleaning old cured/uncured silicone. Is it safe for aquarium? I guess once it all evaporates no chemical residue is left.

Thanks again.

robert
09-15-2009, 05:12 PM
This is a second time that this happened to me. First time it was GE II Silicone I tried to use in my bathroom.

Anyway, mentioning the smell, I smelled the bad silicone I have this morning in different room, and there is no vinegar smell to it at all. Also it is a bit harder to squeeze it out of the tube and is not as clear as All Glass I've originally used. I should have paid more attention to it when I first opened it :cry:, but I'm not silicone expert and thought this is just maybe another kind.

Never heard of an old tube of silicone, and not curing? I have tubes that are years old and still work.

Still, clean as best you can. let sit for a few days/week. It can take a long time for the vinegar smell to subside.