PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Water Source

intarsiabox
09-15-2009, 01:01 AM
I have a 50g tank with a 20g sump with refugium and would like to know if it is better to supply the refugium from one of the overflows or tee off from the return pump. I have a Mag 9.5 at the moment and had to throttle the discharge down about 50% to get rid of the micro bubbles. If I teed off from the pump could I increase the flow rate without getting bubbles or is the flow rate already sufficient? Thank-you!

mark
09-15-2009, 03:39 AM
I've tee'd off one of my drains. Do get a little bit of detritus but easily handled (BB fuge) as I'll siphon out every couple of water changes.

intarsiabox
09-16-2009, 01:31 AM
I think that's what I'll do. I put one valve on one of the drains to direct some flow into the refugium but it looks like I'll have to add another after this valve as not much seems to be actually getting to the refugium.

mark
09-16-2009, 02:17 AM
On mine, the valve on the downward leg controls the flow to the sump (and therefore amount diverted to fuge).

The horizontal valve does nothing for flow control and is only there so I can isolate the fuge.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sump_fuge.jpg

intarsiabox
09-16-2009, 02:34 AM
That is basically what mine will look like as well. Thank-you for the picture!

naesco
09-16-2009, 02:47 AM
I think that's what I'll do. I put one valve on one of the drains to direct some flow into the refugium but it looks like I'll have to add another after this valve as not much seems to be actually getting to the refugium.

IMO the best way to attach a refugium to your system is to tee off the outlet from your sump. You need to throttle it down because you want slow flow through your refugium.
The outlet from your refugium to your main tank is gravity feed and located near the top of the refugium, provided that your refugium is higher than your main tank.

The purpose of the refugium is to provide a super breeding ground for pods and other critters(without predators in it) and provide a space for macro to grow to assist in removing nitrate from you system.
Pods and critters eggs flow undisturbed without a pump into your main tank.

mark
09-16-2009, 04:38 AM
fuge above the display would be nice but not practical for most