PDA

View Full Version : Adding Mimic Tang

Finley
09-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey All,

I currently have a 100g with a 5" Hippo Tang and a smaller Yellow Tang in together for the past 2 months. In my other 50g my Mimic Tang is getting a little big for the tank. Thoughts on adding the Mimic in with the other two. I'm thinking the yellow may not be so happy.

findingnemo1
09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
I myself would be more worried with the Hippo. There body shapes are more alike.
I always add my fish when the lights are off preferably at night as then they have time to find a spot ect without being bugged.
It should work and they may chase for a few days but Mimics that i have had can hold there own fairly we'll.

naesco
09-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Hey All,

I currently have a 100g with a 5" Hippo Tang and a smaller Yellow Tang in together for the past 2 months. In my other 50g my Mimic Tang is getting a little big for the tank. Thoughts on adding the Mimic in with the other two. I'm thinking the yellow may not be so happy.

I don't think you have an option unless you choose to sell it.
A 50 gallon is far to small for any tang and your 100 is probably a four or five footer.

Transfer the fish when it is dark, keep the lights off for a day and don't approach the tank but observe from a distance.

marie
09-15-2009, 02:03 AM
I always add my fish when the lights are off preferably at night as then they have time to find a spot ect without being bugged.

Interesting, I've always found the opposite.Fish I've added settle in much better when they can see where they are going and don't blunder into another fish' bedroom.
My regal angel gets extremely upset and goes on a rampage if another fish disturbes her in her sleeping quarters

naesco
09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Interesting, I've always found the opposite.Fish I've added settle in much better when they can see where they are going and don't blunder into another fish' bedroom.
My regal angel gets extremely upset and goes on a rampage if another fish disturbes her in her sleeping quarters

When you have aggressive fish like the powder blue tang you are pretty much guaranteed he will attack a newly added tang with the result that the other tangs will likely join in.
The newly added tang unless he is larger and even more aggressive will cower in the corner and from then he is toast. As as soon as he leaves the corner he is attacked by any fish.
By adding him in the dark he may disturb one fish's home but the other tangs have the time to adjust to the new fish and the new tang has time to find a safe home.

By keeping the lights off that time is extended.

By the reefer avoiding the tank, the new intruder, (the reefer) does not stir up the pot.

At least, that has been my experience.

Haloreef
09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Before I add a new tang I make sure the tank is very well fed for a couple of days prior to the new addition. Trying to reduce aggression due to food compitition. I also set a mirror in one corner of the tank. Once my Powder Blue has found his reflection he ignores anything else around him. I then add the new tang (to the other end of the tank). I leave the mirror up for a day and then remove it and sit back and observe the tank. If there is still a problem I repeat the process.
It has worked six times so far.
Just my two cents.