PDA

View Full Version : Your help is needed

clowntrigger
08-11-2003, 04:58 AM
ok guys and gals, i got a problem with my 2 fish tanks of late, everything is fine in the tanks, but it seems that after a few hours of lights being on it trips the curcit, it just starting happen the last week or so i have have not added anything more. any ideas on that it causeing this :question:

Troy F
08-11-2003, 05:42 AM
How much do you have on the circuit? I melted a 15amp breaker with my old set up, I now have two dedicated 15 amp breakers and I divide the load. It could also be a short somewhere in your lighting?

Canadian Man
08-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Well this is just a guess but when your light's come on that is almost maxing out the 15a breaker. it's probably very close to tripping when the light's come on. after a few hours the wire start's to heat up considerably because it's having so much juice flow through it.

once the wire heat's up it provides more resistance in the wire and causes the load to exceed the 15a breaker.

Just my humble guess :confused:

I'm not an electrical expert and have no clue what I am talking about so take my opinion as very meger. maybe an electrician can pipe in and save the day :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob I
08-11-2003, 04:39 PM
[

once the wire heat's up it provides more resistance in the wire and causes the load to exceed the 15a breaker.

That is not quite correct. Current flow increases with temperature. The problem is that breakers react to overcurrent, and overload, and you are asking too much from it. Breakers also have about a 20% tolerance. In some cases just changing out the breaker will help, but you will probably have to divide the load among circuits, or if possible supply a dedicated circuit..

:rolleyes: [/quote]