PDA

View Full Version : Adding fish (Advice please)

Leah
09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I would like to add a few more fish to my 72 gal.
I have 2 Lyretail anthia's
Filamented fairy wrasse
Diamond gobie

In Q.T. I have 2 Assessor's
Loretta gramma

I would like to add a canary fang blenny a red scooter blenny and 2 neon gobies. Would these fish be okay together I would like to know before I order
them. Any suggestions or advice would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leah

christyf5
09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
IMO, I'd skip adding 2 neon gobies. One eventually harasses the other and kills it. I wouldn't try 2 in anything less than a 6 foot tank and even thats not a guarantee. I had 2 in my 90 and one harassed the other all the time until there was just the one.

Also the scooter might only be interested in pods and sand fauna which your diamond goby is also interested in. Even if the diamond is already eating prepared foods, he's likely still sifting so you'll definitely see some competition for sand fauna there and the scooter likely won't win as the diamond gobies are much more aggressive about sifting sand. Scooters are neat fish to watch but man are they're not the swiftest when it comes to food.

Leah
09-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Well that isn't what I wanted to hear! :sad: Any idea's would be welcome,
Christy, anyone :wink:

Starry
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Doesn't the wrasse hunt pods as well?

christyf5
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Doesn't the wrasse hunt pods as well?

I don't think fairy wrasses are hardcore pod hunters as much as the scooters. I also think they're much easier to get on prepared foods. Diamond gobies for the most part aren't pod hunters per se but are generalists on sand fauna which just happens to include pods.

Leah
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Never really thought of the wrasse as competion either, good point! IDEAS ON SMALL REEF FISH to add?

karazy
09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
instead of the 2 neon gobies you could add 3-5 eviota gobies. they are really cool when they are in groups (especially bigger groups) and cute little fish too.

naesco
09-15-2009, 01:21 AM
IMO, I'd skip adding 2 neon gobies. One eventually harasses the other and kills it. I wouldn't try 2 in anything less than a 6 foot tank and even thats not a guarantee. I had 2 in my 90 and one harassed the other all the time until there was just the one.

Also the scooter might only be interested in pods and sand fauna which your diamond goby is also interested in. Even if the diamond is already eating prepared foods, he's likely still sifting so you'll definitely see some competition for sand fauna there and the scooter likely won't win as the diamond gobies are much more aggressive about sifting sand. Scooters are neat fish to watch but man are they're not the swiftest when it comes to food.

+1
Fairy and flasher wrasse feed in the water column not in the substrate.

Leah
09-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Any suggestions?

christyf5
09-15-2009, 03:37 PM
vanderbilts chromis
talbots damsels
lined blenny
midas blenny
chalk basslet
cardinalfish (bangaii/pyjama)
firefish
clownfish
jawfish (if you have a deep sandbed)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I really like my jawfish (but this would be dependent on whether you have a decent sandbed or not).

Scissortail gobies are also really nice fish with a subtle beauty (as long as you have a covered tank or fish that won't chase it out of the tank). Firefish are also very beautiful and not too expensive.

My blue & gold goby from J&L is a real cutie.

A black sailfin blenny will skip around on the rocks and stare at you:biggrin:

Another beautiful fish I would like to add is a Midas blenny.

ponokareefer
09-15-2009, 04:03 PM
I really like my midas blenny. Always out, and very colorfull. I do have a pair of neon gobies as well, that are always out. The last pair I had fought a lot, but these 2 don't fight at all. The problem with them is they have such a short lifespan though.
You could also add a less aggressive clownfish, like the false perc's, true perc's or skunk clowns. Another option is the Hifin Perchlet, or other gobies, like the Randall Goby.
If you do add more wrasse's, there is a risk of fighting. If you had added them all at the same time, it wouldn't have been an issue, but since you already have established wrasse's, they may pick on the newcomer's.

Leah
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone, great lists. I should know be able to figure a few. As for the Midas
I tried one and he is rather devilish and has been moved to an empty tank till I figure out
what to do with him. I really like him but he just doesn't play nice with the other's. :biggrin:

Leah
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I googled gold & blue goby and didn't see it curious as to what they look like.

christyf5
09-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I googled gold & blue goby and didn't see it curious as to what they look like.

I think it might be a blue and gold blenny. I did see them on the J&L new and noteworthy page a few weeks ago. They don't have them on there now but this is what I found on liveaquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2105&pcatid=2105

Maybe Anthony can confirm that this might be the one?

ponokareefer
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
You could also look at bangaii cardinals. They are a really neat fish, and peacefull.