PDA

View Full Version : saltwater ich

BlueTang<3
09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Had a bad outbreak of ich and looking for best cure going to try hypo saltinity looking for advice

megs_clark
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi i had my first saltwater ich outbreak a few mnths ago and after googling on this site i kept finding people talking about soaking food in garlic. I picked up garlic gaurd from the lfs, was $12 for a bottle that will last me forever, its made by seachem and came in a white bottle with blue label that has fish and garlis on it. I soaked the food (frosen brine shrimp as well as flake food) and fed often and within two days the ich had fallen off the fish, whom i might add had it so bad his fins were shreading and looked near death. the trick to this i read is to continue doing this for awhile after the ich has fallen off for two reasons, one the ich isnt dead doing this, the ich i read doesnt like garlic so falls off after the fish has started eating it (took about 2 days) and the second reason i read is that ich hosts on already week or stressed out fish and the garlic will help to strengthen their immune system. So if you stop dipping the food right away the ich will re attach to the week fish. I soaked for about a week and a half and then just once a week for another 2 weeks and it hasnt been back since ps, i know this came out long but on the bottle it recomends buying two other things in the instuctions, you dont need to do this, just using food and the garlic guard will work on its own i found! and is cheap and reef safe for corals and such!!!

naesco
09-15-2009, 03:25 AM
+1
I think Garlic Extreme is even better as it is quite concentrated and the idea is to get as much garlic in the fish as you can.
For the same reason it is better to use dried food like flakes or pellets,dried shrimp or nori rather than frozen food as it absorbs more garlic extract.

plutoniumJoe
09-15-2009, 03:53 AM
I use garlic every day plus a shot of Selcon. Once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

naesco
09-15-2009, 03:57 AM
I use garlic every day plus a shot of Selcon. Once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Absolutely, a shot of selcon as well.
Joe, when are you upgrading your tank. I see a naso tang there and as I am sure you have learned they get pretty big really fast.

plutoniumJoe
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Absolutely, a shot of selcon as well.
Joe, when are you upgrading your tank. I see a naso tang there and as I am sure you have learned they get pretty big really fast.

I built the 50 gallon sump last week and I have all the glass for a 210. I am just looking for a catchy title for my tank build before I start. BTW it is not the naso that has outgrown my 75gallon it is my 7inch Foxface that makes me feel guilty.

Sorry to hijack.

Red Coral Aquariums
09-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Other good products I use instead of selcon in addition to garlic extract are.

****ZEOvit Immun Stabil Fish - 100ml

* Pure herbal extract additive for all Koi, freshwater and saltwater fish.
* Improvement of coloration and vitality of all fish.
* At the first signs of any illness, mix Immun Stabil Fish into the appropriate feed.

Dosing
Normal: 2 drops daily per 1g of fish food.

As an immune system stimulant: Use 1-2 times per week to increase fish vitality and reduce instances of infection and disease.

****UltraFood Energizer

High-quality emulsion spray consisting of marine oils, Vitamins, herb extracts and valuable amino acids. A great addition to frozen foods and algae sheets.

ULTRA Food Energizer consists of an select mixes high-quality oils and Omega-3-Fatty Acids, which suites the needs of corals.

Added:
ULTRA Food Energizer contains:
Water 30%, fats 67%

Vitamin A 40,000, 00 µ/kg
Vitamin D3 4,000 µ/kg
Vitamin E 3,600 mg/kg
Vitamin C 8500 mg/kg
Vitamin B 12 30 mg/kg
Vitamin B 6 15 mg/kg
organic acids 5%
Amino acid-mix 6%
Omega-3-Fettsäuren 800 mg/g
natural Carotinoide
Garlic excerpt
Marine natural oils

Kevin

Finley
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Kevin,

Where do you buy your additives here in Calgary?

nanmer
09-19-2009, 02:16 AM
I was having a bit of a problem with ich, stress on a new purple tang (developed ich after quarantine when I moved her). I read the above question and possible solutions. Since the ich was not really bad I opted for the least invasive treatment. I tried the garlic alone and was really surprised at the results. Within two days it was totally gone. I will continue to use the garlic for a couple of weeks, as suggested.

For me this was the ideal solution. I did not want to put further stress on the tang with another move. I did not want to remove all my live rock and coral in order to catch her. I feel the less chemicals the better.

Thanks Megs Clark for the suggestion! My beautiful purple fish is not covered in spots and she is eating like there is no tomorrow!