PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating aiptasia

vic622
09-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I was trying to identify some of the hitchhikers on my liverock - after finding the mystery crab last night, I'm a little spooked - turns out they're featherdusters, not aiptasia.
I came across this article for using Concentrated Lemon Juice to kill aiptasia.
Has anyone heard of this? Tried it?
Vic
Here's the link:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/msubpestaiptasia/a/aa061903.htm

subman
09-14-2009, 01:26 AM
There are hundreds of Aiptasia control methods commercial chemicals, home remedies ( lemon juice, hot vinegar, Kalkwasser, hot water) and then the animals that eat them. I prefer using animals such as Peppermint shrimp (may or may not eat aiptasia), Berghia Nudibrachs (very hard to come by) or Copperbands (very difficult to keep for long periods of time). I guess you have to try some and decide which one you are comfortable with. :mrgreen:

JPotter
09-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I purchased a tank that came with large numbers of Aptaisia:( Commercial aptaisia products, lemon juice , kalwasser, boiling H2O will beat back the ones you get a direct hit on...a lot of time and effort and then they are back again...usually with a bunch more family members! The copperbanded I have doesn't seem to notice them, the peppermint shrimps made no difference and disappeared over time. Sprung's reference suggested a huge number of peppermint shrimp so perhaps the 6 I had wasn't adequate. Next I will try Berghia..who knows perhaps that will work. Fortunately, to date, the corals don't seem to mind the Aptasia as much as I do..they grow side by side among the zoas and are within the nooks and crannies of of the digi. However I would like them gone.

Albertan22
09-14-2009, 02:54 AM
There was a good article on aptasia in this month's reefkeeping magazine.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/33-reefkeeping-101-

If you're going the berghia route I'd suggest reading it. Apparently they get eaten quickly in a tank so it's best to breed them in a separate system and constantly add the young to your DT.

fencer
09-14-2009, 04:31 AM
You are going to need about 3 berghi per gal...better to buy 20 shrimp and hope. Has anybody tried crazy glue?