PDA

View Full Version : Sand Sifting Creatures?

Eb0la11
09-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Just wondering what are some good sand sifting creatures I can add to my reef tank?

Right now I have 2 brittle stars, some nassarius snails, turbo snails, a lawnmower blenny, some BL hermits and 2 clowns. Im just starting out. Thats all Ive got in a 165G tank so far.

intarsiabox
09-14-2009, 12:27 AM
There is a sand sifting starfish and sand sifting gobies that work well.

Eb0la11
09-14-2009, 12:29 AM
What kind of goby and star? These are reef safe?

xtreme
09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Orange Diamond gobies are good sandsifters.

Leah
09-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a white sandsifting sea star in my 95 gal

mike31154
09-14-2009, 12:49 AM
My female Maroon Clownfish does an exceptional job of excavating the substrate below her anemone.

Leah
09-14-2009, 12:49 AM
I also have a Diamond gobie for a week or so my tank was pretty cloudy it has settled done a lot know. Cool fish.

BlueWorldAquatic
09-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Brown bar aka dragon goby.

Ken

Myka
09-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Be aware that white sand sifting starfish are excellent predators, which means they are very good at stripping the sandbed of most life! Some people don't mind that, others don't want that.

My favourite sand sifters are Rainford's Gobies (also very good algae eaters), and various small Conches (Strawberry, Fighting, Orange Lip, etc). Be aware that Rainford's eat a lot, and will likely never take prepared foods.

whatcaneyedo
09-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Sea cucumbers work alright cleaning small areas of the sandbed at a time. I've had a tiger tail for several years without incident.

Van-rookie
09-14-2009, 02:11 AM
I got a dragon goby today, was told by the lfs that its very good for sand sifting. Last time I look at my tank he was working already

banditpowdercoat
09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
I definately need to look into something for my tanks. What's good with a Porc Puffer????

BlueWorldAquatic
09-14-2009, 02:44 AM
dragon gobies like hair algae too

I got one in my personal tank at home.

Ken

nanmer
09-14-2009, 04:12 AM
I have a sand sifting star and a dragon goby. I have beautiful white sand with plenty of little critters in it. It seems they don't always get to the bottom of the sand and this must seed the upper layers. Since the sand star is growing and doing well after 8 months it seems he is not going to starve to death like some people say they can.

My daughter named our dragon goby "Norbert" from "Harry Potter" LOL

ElGuappo
09-14-2009, 04:18 AM
i have have s sandsifting star that could use a new home. pm me if interested

fencer
09-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Sand dollars and Tiger tails

BlueAbyss
09-14-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a Hector's Goby that sifts sand, but seems to like algae better. Cool fish though.

naesco
09-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Just wondering what are some good sand sifting creatures I can add to my reef tank?

Right now I have 2 brittle stars, some nassarius snails, turbo snails, a lawnmower blenny, some BL hermits and 2 clowns. Im just starting out. Thats all Ive got in a 165G tank so far.

If you are just starting out there is no need to add anything.
What you want is a sand bed thriving with all kinds of critters.
You do not want a lifeless sand bed.
Maybe add a a small conch after six months.

Madreefer
09-16-2009, 03:58 AM
My sand sifting star fish does a good job, I prefer them over a goby because they don't spit sand all over corals.

Myka
09-16-2009, 04:02 AM
If you are just starting out there is no need to add anything.
What you want is a sand bed thriving with all kinds of critters.
You do not want a lifeless sand bed.
Maybe add a a small conch after six months.

Good call.

Stevey87
09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Get Orange or Fighting Conchs. I have both and they're herbivores and very peaceful. They bury in sand sometimes and come out to eat. When you buy conchs, make sure they're not whelks because sometimes they can look similar. Easiest way to tell is that conchs have 'jump' forward motion instead of sliding like most snails, when they move.

RuGlu6
09-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Right now I have 2 brittle stars, some nassarius snails, turbo snails, a lawnmower blenny, some BL hermits and 2 clowns. I'm just starting out. Thats all Ive got in a 165G tank so far.
Sand sifting stars will eat all life out of you sand bed so i would Not keep one.
Sand sifting star will do fine as long as there is any life left in the sand, and then it will die.
In short it is a loosing battle to keep sand bed "alive" you need critters and sifters, but after sifters are done with critters the sand is Dead.

So unless you are in the vicinity of the tropical beach and can replace live sand easily i would stay away from the sand.
Its Not an easy choice (sand looks good) but way safer and easier to go bare bottom (BB), because all sand will do is it will accumulate detritus and then it will lead to a tank crash.