PDA

View Full Version : WTB : water container

Van-rookie
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi I am going out of town for a couple of weeks and want to prepare some saltwater for the person who will look after my tank so he can top off it easily.

Anyone who have plastic container that they need to get rid of, please send pic if possible along with asking price.

thx

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I have a 20g heavy duty bucket that you can BORROW (I want it back when you come back from your trip).

Anthony

Snaz
09-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi I am going out of town for a couple of weeks and want to prepare some saltwater for the person who will look after my tank so he can top off it easily.

Anyone who have plastic container that they need to get rid of, please send pic if possible along with asking price.

thx

Perhaps I am missing something here but wouldn't top off water be fresh water? Got a leak?

Van-rookie
09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking something cheap that I can keep.
Been thinking to maybe just use the 55G tank that I am planning to sell, didn't thought of that earlier.

I have a 20g heavy duty bucket that you can BORROW (I want it back when you come back from your trip).

Anthony

Van-rookie
09-13-2009, 09:00 PM
No leak. Just the person pet sitting for me doesn't know much about saltwater...I don't want the parameter goes "too" wrong.

Perhaps I am missing something here but wouldn't top off water be fresh water? Got a leak?

Myka
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
No leak. Just the person pet sitting for me doesn't know much about saltwater...I don't want the parameter goes "too" wrong.

The parameters will go very wrong if he is topping up with saltwater. Make sure he tops up with freshwater.

On the other hand, there are several really good professional tank sitting businesses in Vancouver. You could hire one of them to at least come and dose the tank for calcium and alkalinity a couple times while you are gone. I would recommend Raf & Diana at Aquatic Escapes, but it depends what part of the city you live in. At least take a look at that option, it is a much safer option.

Van-rookie
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Myka....thanks for the advice.
I don't really have a lot in my tank At the moment, after the heat wave attack and also a very recent refractometer salinity caibration that went wrong.

So professional tank sitting would be too much I think.

The parameters will go very wrong if he is topping up with saltwater. Make sure he tops up with freshwater.

On the other hand, there are several really good professional tank sitting businesses in Vancouver. You could hire one of them to at least come and dose the tank for calcium and alkalinity a couple times while you are gone. I would recommend Raf & Diana at Aquatic Escapes, but it depends what part of the city you live in. At least take a look at that option, it is a much safer option.

Myka
09-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Do you have any "Early's" farm supply stores there? The ones here sell used rain barrels. They are food safe, and have had consumable oils in them (IE flax oil, canola oil, etc). You need to wash them out very well, but they are only $20 each. They have got to hold about 60 gallons. I didn't look too closely, but I think the tops need to be cut off...easy job with a circular saw. I think am going to pick up a couple for my water bins. I checked out the price of new barrels instead at Flaman's, and they were $99 for the same ones.

Van-rookie
09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
I checked on the internet an seems early's farm & garden is only located in saskatoon/

Myka
09-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Oh... :o

Snaz
09-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Check out some of the chemical suppliers or food factories in your area. Be polite and explain what you need the drums for and you can probably score some for less than what they have to pay to recycle them.

LOTS of what we eat is shipped in food safe 205 Litre/55 gallon poly barrels. Glycerin and Propylene Glycol come to mind.