PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor Dips for Red Bugs

Myka
09-12-2009, 04:40 PM
JPotter asked some questions in a different thread of mine, and not wanting that thread to get off topic too much I made this new thread.

Everyone else feel free to answer his questions too! :)

For those that don't know, Red Bugs only affect Acro corals, and Interceptor is considered the most effective treatment. Interceptor is a heartworm medication for dogs and cats, and can only be obtained by a veterinarian prescription so it can be difficult to obtain.

How does one use Intercetor to dip acro frags for red bugs? What concentration of drug in the water and how long do you leave them in the dip?

Should one dip all new corals??

Do you use SW or RO water to make it up?

If you can use it can you also use Program? Program comes in liquid formulations..would you use that? Both inhibit chiton (exoskeleton) developement.

Can you use Advantage or Revolution as they actually are cidal for many external arthropods.

You use saltwater for the Interceptor dips. I wouldn't use anything other than Interceptor. Interceptor is specifically one drug, where other medications have additional drugs that have adverse or unknown affects. Take a read through Melev's take on red bugs and Interceptor. He also has links to more discussion on it. Also a Goggle search comes up with lots of info. http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

My opinion on dipping corals has changed over the years. When I was new I dipped everything, QT'ed all my fish, the whole 9 yards. After some coral losses (always from Iodine dips) I quit dipping. Now, I realize the main factor in this. When I have a larger tank I QT and dip because the risks are greater. When I have a smaller tank I don't QT and I don't dip because the risks are smaller. The risk of infecting the tank increases with a bigger tank because you will add more fish, and more corals, plus if you DO get infected it takes a lot more effort to get rid of it, plus you are risking to entire large tank. With a smaller tank you have fewer fish, fewer corals, and it's easier to medicate. It's usually a big deal to deal with an infection in a large tank.

So...in my opinion, weigh the risks. I am getting some Interceptor and Tropic Marin Coral Cure tomorrow, and I will be dipping all incoming corals with the TMCC, and all incoming Acros will get an additional Interceptor dip for red bugs. My tank is large enough (in my world) that the risks warrant dipping.

Fish and QTs or dips I find aren't as straight forward to decide as some fish do poorly in QT and/or dips. That's a whole different thread.

Ryan
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Where are you getting your interceptor from?

Myka
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a dog, so getting Interceptor was easy when I lived in BC. Since heartworm was in the area I lived I just got the Interceptor "for my dog", which was true anyway since I didn't have to use all the pills for ny dog. :D I don't have a vet out here in Saskatchewan yet though.

Send some PMs to vendors and ask, I'm sure you can find some. Just remember to be discreet because you are essentially asking for a prescription drug by illegal means.

Aquattro
09-13-2009, 12:10 AM
I took an article on red bugs to my vet and they gave me Interceptor to treat it.

Myka
09-13-2009, 02:03 AM
I took an article on red bugs to my vet and they gave me Interceptor to treat it.

That's a good idea. Do you remember what article you used? Could you link to it?

Aquattro
09-13-2009, 02:52 AM
That's a good idea. Do you remember what article you used? Could you link to it?

No, it was one of the first articles linked on RC, not sure I could find it again. But, any article that can be found describing the bug and treatment, ideally with pics, should do the trick.

Myka
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
something out of the Reef Keeping Magazine or something "official" like that would probably be the best bet I would think. Thanks for the suggestion Brad!

JPotter
09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Thank you for putting up this information. The tank I put sps in is only 120 gal so I could get to most corals if I had to (fish..well not so easy). Interceptor is an Rx and is not usually sold by the individual tablet. If you tell your vet what you are usuing it for they will likely sell it to you but you may end up with more than what you need. Central Vet Hospital or the vet school would likely be able to provide Intercetor to Myka.
I did set up a QT tank but somehow it ended up with permanent corals and fish.

BlueAbyss
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for this 'article', very informative! I'm a little less scared of Acros now :lol:

I did set up a QT tank but somehow it ended up with permanent corals and fish.

This is what would happen to me unless I had a large FOWLR with lots of fish.

Myka
09-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for this 'article', very informative! I'm a little less scared of Acros now :lol:

You are welcome! Remember there are lots of SPS that aren't Acros though so you can have SPS and still be paranoid about Acros! :p