PDA

View Full Version : My sps has holes on it

megs_clark
09-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi i was wondering, one of my sps had been going downhill, and today after inspecting one i noticed it lookes like something has made holes in the areas that seem to be dying. I cant see anybugs, but mabe their in the holes? Does anyone know what kind of bug might be doing this?? They dont look like bite marks, they look like holes. perfectly round

Drock169
09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
guessing barnacle, fan worm, vermitid snail or maybe a more rare burrowing hermit

kat
09-12-2009, 01:13 PM
how big are the holes? they could be bite marks...any chance they are polyp holes? are you able to get a good zoom pic?

o.c.d.
09-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Maybe your talking about the small cavity where the polyp retracts into. Does the area you are looking at have coral tissue or is it bare white skeleton?

megs_clark
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM
its at the base and a bit up the stake of the sps. Its normal color is kind of a purply green when healthy, but the areas where i see the holes are going all green, and the rest all purple lately. i think the tissue is dying in the green parts. Ill try to take a picture. I thought they were polyp holes, but then i notices theirs tons where its dying and not where its still healthy? Ill get the pics up asap

Myka
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Sounds a bit like the bite marks red bugs were making on an Acro frag of mine.

shrimpchips
09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
If it's base up, sounds like it might be acropora eating flat worm bite marks.