PDA

View Full Version : desaster hits....

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-09-2002, 03:25 PM
:(
over the weekend i was gone one of my heaters broke after giving a heat wave to my tank.
well over 40 pcs of corals cuttings and mother colonies died.it looks like maybe only 7 pcs survived and my fish
well i am not sure now for this big loss i never thought this will ever occur in my tanks.
its one of those submersible 300w heaters.
i dont know what else to say,very saaaaaaad

Acro
04-09-2002, 03:51 PM
eli,

sorry to here this. What brand of heater and was this a fragging system or dispay?

Jamie

Jack Rainville
04-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Ouch! That has to be depressing. :(

When I was a kid, this was what got me out of aquariums. I had kept a healthy fresh water tank for years until one day I came home and everything had been killed by a heater stuck on.

From now on, I would only use multiple heaters. You should use 3 100W heaters instead of 1 300W. If one of the 3 gets stuck on, it won't be strong enough to cook the tank. If one breaks and won't come on, the tank shouldn't get too cold since there's still 200W of heating power.

It's more expensive, but it's good insurance.

Jack

Jack
04-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Man, that sucks. Now you have me worried about my tank. 112 gallon, single 250 watt heater.

What should I use intstead? 2-100's?

Dez
04-09-2002, 07:16 PM
did you catch the temperature? How high did it get, this is a valuable lesson for our fellow reefers. thanks eli

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-10-2002, 04:19 AM
i think it was Visi-therm heater :(
its one system (125,110) display and fragging to one sump. :(

Dez
04-10-2002, 04:25 AM
Eli, I'm so sorry to hear that. I will save some frags for you to have and try to get a couple more blue mushrooms so that you can start up again. Did your clam survive? keep in touch, I'm sorry.

des

Son Of Skyline
04-10-2002, 04:43 AM
Dang...Sorry to hear that. Don't get too discouraged though. If it were to happen to me I'd take it as a challenge to see how well I could perform the recovery project, and hopefully come out with something even better than before smile.gif

George
04-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Sorry about the lost eli. Don't be discourage. Knowledge is the most important thing in reefkeeping. With your knowledge, you will get your tank back to its glory day in no time.

Regarding to multiple heaters in tank, I am opening a new thread to discuss that.

George