PDA

View Full Version : Super-heating Tank to Get Rid of Baddies?

Beverly
08-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I have recently set up a 72 gal to house captive bred seahorses. I was able to catch the red-eyed bad crab, but have not been able to catch the other furry light coloured ones. Plus, last night while flashlighting the tank, I noticed scores of 1/8" to 1/4" white worms all over the glass. Yikes, not only were they on the glass, but swam about as well :eek: I have no idea what these worms are, but they look like very small bristleworms, though I have NEVER heard of BWs that swim :eek:

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried raising temps to extreme levels to get rid of unwanted hitchhikers? My heaters go up to 93 F. I would remove all the good critters from the 72 gal, which only happen to be snails at the moment, and super-heat the tank to 93 F for a 2-3 days.

Anybody ever do this? Will doing so kill the nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, do you think? And more importantly, will it kill the BWs, crabs I haven't been able to catch, the strange worms, and aptaisia?

I realize the tank will probably have to be recycled due to the die-off, but that's not a problem, considering the benefits of having a pest-free environment for the seahorses when they arrive.

Any input on this proposed experiment would be greatly appreciated :)

TIA :)

christyf5
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Why did you even bother buying live rock if you didn't want it live? Its much cheaper to just start off with dry rock and a bit of live sand. More controlled anyway :rolleyes: I would think jacking your temperature up to 93 in a short period of time would kill off everything.

Good Luck!

Christy :)

Beverly
08-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Christy, you may be right that a lot of things may die off, though hopefully not the nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria and coraline algae.

I went back in the archives to June when folks were experiencing the heat wave. Someone's tank went up to 94 :eek: I imagine his temp climb was pretty fast. He lost some corals and fish, if I remember correctly :sad: Wish I knew how his tank made out after that....

Aquattro
08-09-2003, 09:14 PM
I think the whole idea is crazy!! The little white wiggly worms make great food for everything in the tank. I love seeig that kind of thing. I think you need to stop worrying about all the "proposed" baddies and enjoy reef keeping. Relax a bit!! :eek:

EmilyB
08-09-2003, 09:15 PM
I have no idea what these worms are, but they look like very small bristleworms, though I have NEVER heard of BWs that swim :eek:

Bristleworms have a free-swimming stage, they are called epitokes.

christyf5
08-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Well if you decide to do it, definitely add a powerhead or two or some extra aeration as the oxygen content of water decreases dramatically with increase in temperature. I would think a large part of your sandbed will probly croak though but thats just my thoughts on it.

Definitely let us know how it goes.

Christy :)

Beverly
08-09-2003, 09:27 PM
I think the whole idea is crazy!! The little white wiggly worms make great food for everything in the tank. I love seeig that kind of thing. I think you need to stop worrying about all the "proposed" baddies and enjoy reef keeping. Relax a bit!! :eek:

Maybe not as crazy as you might think. I'm keeping seahorses in the tank, remember. SHs are not your average fish. They are slow and can be easy prey.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of our new SHs spitting out what I thought was a piece of mysis that was too big for her. D*mned if it didn't turn out to be a very small white bristleworm :eek: She convulsed for 20-30 seconds, then spent the rest of the afternoon head hung low and by herself. I thought she was a goner :sad: Luckily by feeding time, she was okay and ate something. But I've read about SHs that don't make it after a bout with a BW :evil:

In all my other tanks, BWs are welcome, but not with SHs :evil:

And I have no idea what those other white worms I found on the glass last night were. Some crawled on the glass while others swam freely, though they were the same animal. Could be a friend in a reef tank, but a killer with SHs - I don't know, and neither do you. Or do you....

I'm not that keen on taking chances with animals I pay sh*tloads of money to ship SHs here just to have them killed by something I might have been able to eradicate before their arrival.

Still would like to hear more opinions....

Beverly
08-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Bristleworms have a free-swimming stage, they are called epitokes.

Didn't know that, thanks, Em.

So they ARE bristleworms. Man, I gotta get those snails out of the 72. Don't know if I want to remove the macroalgae since the critters I need gone might be all over the stuff. Sh*t :sad:

EmilyB
08-09-2003, 09:44 PM
It sounds like you only want opinions that agree with yours Beverly. :confused: Of course it's your tank.

I know several people with seahorses, perhaps Sam can comment on the need for erradicating lifeforms in order to keep them.

I do know pipefish definitely poke around in the rock and sand without detriment. Are there no bristleworms in the ocean where seahorses live :question:

kris
08-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey Beverly, Just a thought. Why not restart the tank, and make your own live rock. then seed it your self. not with live sand but rotivers and try to catch some pods or something... its the only way to be safe. On another note when i was into seahorses i never had a problem with bristle worms. I think if they get out of hand they might pose a problem but if kept under cointrole they are fine. at least that is my understanding.... i might be wrong though. Regardles i think the best thing is to make your own rock and seed the tank with what you want. Then you know you do not have worms of any kind.

Cheers!

AJ_77
08-09-2003, 10:27 PM
What about the reports of Cleaner Shrimps eating smaller bristle worms? Are they compatible with your SF?

Jack
08-09-2003, 10:52 PM
If you kill "baddies" by super heating the water won't that mean you must be killing "goodies" at the same time?? Maybe everything but the bacteria but all the little stuff is what makes LR so cool!!

Mak
08-09-2003, 11:59 PM
I bet whatever "baddies" you may or may not kill, will come back over time.

Sounds like a Redo to me :neutral: .

Jack
08-10-2003, 12:59 AM
I think Mak is right. Even if you get rid of the bristle worms they will come back in time.

zulu_principle
08-10-2003, 01:03 AM
I have two kuda's in a 10 gallon bowfront.

There is lots of life in the tank, including bristleworms.

Ive had them for a few months, and have had no problems with critters and my seahorses.

Wendell

Beverly
08-10-2003, 01:51 AM
I gather from all the posts that no one has ever tried super heating a tank to get rid of unwanted pests. And to me they are pests. Unfortunately, the good animals will probably also perish as has been suggested.

Got all my snails out, and as far as I'm concerned, I will be the first one to experiment with super heating a tank on purpose with a goal in mind.

I will write up a log of the outcome of the experiment. I have nothing to lose, and valuable information to gain, even if it is to prove that it may have been a waste of time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Aquattro
08-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Bleach would be easier..... :neutral:

Dresden
08-10-2003, 02:49 AM
on a number of occassions i returned home from work to have my tank at temp of 92 degrees and nothing i have noticed has died yet.

DJ88
08-10-2003, 02:53 AM
Get ready for your tank to start cycling all over again. And again each time you have to do this when more "bad" critters appear. Only wy you will kill off everything is to boil it all. Then the corraline will bleach white.

Why not just go buy dead coral skeletons and crushed coral? Much easier. Same result. :rolleyes:

that way each week you can take them out. bleach them again and control the "pests".

If you have LR in the tank you ARE going to have critters.

sumpfinfishe
08-10-2003, 08:18 AM
IMO I would suggest simply getting rid of the LSB, taking out all the rock and soak it in 250ml of bleach for a few days. Then restart with your new non-living rock, add some new sand and a way you go. You might have to wait longer for everything to cycle-but that's what you would have to do IMO.

Heating up a 72gl tank to 93 will do little or nothing at all. I can tell you this because I have seen my roomates 60gl tank heat up to 94 for a total of about 10 days last month, and guess what-he suffered no losses, just an increase in algae :mrgreen:

cheers, Rich