PDA

View Full Version : How do you switch livestock to a bigger tank?

megs_clark
09-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi. I was wondering, im finaly almost ready to fill my 72gallon. Iv taken all the advice iv recieved on my overflow and will soon be picking up a pump, then im ready to fill er up. I was curiouse, i have a 30gallon with 40 pounds of live rock and a few sps and soft corals. 4 fish and my cuc. I also have a bunch of crushed coral in their. Is their anyway to switch over without cycling the tank. I was hoping to not have to wait that long, and was thinking adding 30 more gallons of water would be like doing a 50% water change, and mabe could i do that and then run it a few days then add the rest of the water? Or is that a big nono. Let me know what you think, im itchn to get going on it but dont want to risk anything doing so

marie
09-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Unless your adding new live rock, you should be able to just transfer everything right over as soon as the salinity and the temp match

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Yup, pulling the rock from one tank & immediately placing it into another tank should be fine, with no die off or cycling needed.

I've done this many, many times.

Anthony

megs_clark
09-11-2009, 05:19 AM
That is so exciting to hear! I thought i might be stuck waiting 6-7 weeks. Thanks for letting me know :mrgreen: