PDA

View Full Version : LR on PVC... How To Help?!

Barrett.Oliver
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Hello All,

Just wondering if someone could help me if you have some experience, or insight on my question?

I currently have about 30-35lbs of LR in a 30gal tank about 1.25 yrs old just resting on each other. I would like to fix all of my LR to PVC piping so it is much more stationary, safe, so on and so forth.

Am I simply able to take the rock out, drill the hole, mount it on the PVC, set it back in the tank and continue with the rest of the pieces of LR? Or should I be doing this some other way?

Anything that anyone could tell me would likely be very helpful to me, so thank you all in advance!

-Barrett Oliver

intarsiabox
09-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Have you thought of using black zip ties to hold rocks together? They are almost invisible and you can usually find existing holes to work with or only have to drill very small holes. I you want to use a PVC frame you could use the zip ties to hold the rock to the pipe if you think you really need the pipe.

Myka
09-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I drilled holes and used black zip ties. I tried using PVC and acrylic rods, and I found them too difficult to work with. Zip ties are more forgiving.

sharuq1
09-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Only problem I have had is the zip ties seem to break over time. If that happens you can end up with a rock fall. (I did >.<)

hillegom
09-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Did you use the black all plastic ones, no metal? Mine have only been in use for 3 yrs, but are not brittle yet.

Abe
09-11-2009, 05:56 AM
how do you guys use the black ties, never heard of it before, can you guys post pics please. thanx.

fkshiu
09-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Utilize the natural holes or drill your own (carefully) with a masonry bit.

Myka
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Only problem I have had is the zip ties seem to break over time. If that happens you can end up with a rock fall. (I did >.<)

Were yours black? The black ones are UV resistant, and much tougher than the white/clear ones.