PDA

View Full Version : best pc actinic bulb

Samw
08-08-2003, 07:48 AM
I'm considering to replace my 96watt 50/50 PC bulb with a true actinic bulb. Which is the best one? I've read that the one from HelloLights is best followed by Custom Sea Life, and then Panasonic is the worst. Is this generally accepted to be the case? I know that we can't get HelloLights locally. So then CSL is next best choice?

Skimmerking
08-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey hows the tank doing ?
I would go with the URI bulb , I think its the best ,40 dollars each or you can go with the phillips actinic for 20 dollars each too.
just a hought

Aquattro
08-08-2003, 05:28 PM
I would go with the URI bulb , I think its the best ,40 dollars each or you can go with the phillips actinic for 20 dollars each too.
just a hought

And when those are made in PC format, he might be able to use them!! :razz:

Samw
08-09-2003, 01:11 AM
right, I do realize VHO is better for actinics but I already have a 96W PC retrokit. So, unless I want to buy a new retrokit, I'm stuck with PC as my supplemental lighting.

StirCrazy
08-09-2003, 01:07 PM
right, I do realize VHO is better for actinics but I already have a 96W PC retrokit.

VHO isn't better, it is just easyer to obtain. I was under the understanding that the hellow lights bulbs were panasonics but ya if you can't get the hellolights ones and can get he csl get them then. or if you are buying 2 of them get one of each and see which you like better.

Steve

AJ_77
08-09-2003, 06:15 PM
I've got a couple of actinic PCs from HelloLights (part of their kit, I believe). They are stamped "Custom Sea Life."

I also bought a new daylght PC lamp that has smaller diameter tubes than my others. It cranks out the light pretty good, but would seem to be a T5 size??

steve-s
08-09-2003, 06:20 PM
I recently asked this question to the fine folks at J&L Aquatics. They say the 96w Actinic PC's they sell are true 03's Custom Sea Life.

Cheers
Steve

yannCA
08-09-2003, 09:06 PM
hi! guys !

just for your informations :

i was used to order my PC lamps from Lamps Now, now known as Hellolights... Those PC lamps were made by panasonic (3 years ago) ... i had to change the lamps every years.. and they were really black at each end... The new ones are from Custom Sea Life... but not bought from hellolights because i'm living in Sherbrooke... 40km from the border but they still refuse to deliver....
The custom Sea Life PC lamps are much much much.... better than the panasonic ones... used with the same electronic ballast, they are still white after 1year and a month...

So if hellologhts now sell CSL PC lamps go for them...

Yann

Samw
08-13-2003, 10:57 PM
VHO isn't better, it is just easyer to obtain. I was under the understanding that the hellow lights bulbs were panasonics but ya if you can't get the hellolights ones and can get he csl get them then. or if you are buying 2 of them get one of each and see which you like better.

Steve

When I looked at the HelloLights Actinic bulb specs, it mentions that it is Panasonic Style. I guess when people say Hello Lights has Panasonic bulbs, they simply mean its the 4 Square pin style.

Steve, have you done any side by side comparisons (with meter and also just visually) between PC actinics and VHO actinics?

I ended up ordering a PFO VHO ballast and a URI actinic bulb. Should save me some headaches.