PDA

View Full Version : Eggcrate

Van-rookie
09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Anyone know whether home depot sells eggcrate or not ?
Need to build a cover for my tank so that no fish can commit suicide.

fkshiu
09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, but ask for the "light diffusers" or the Home Despot drone will stare blankly back at you.

Van-rookie
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
ok thanks.
Cause I couldn't find it on their website.
But could find it at Rona's

Yes, but ask for the "light diffusers" or the Home Despot drone will stare blankly back at you.

muck
09-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Another option might be nylon mesh.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/racerw/120lpsfulltankshots001-1.jpg

Van-rookie
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Did you make it yourself or bought a ready made ?

I haven't really made up my mind what I will get, whether use glass, acrylic, eggcrate or nylon mesh as you suggested.

My concern is whether it will reduce or block the light.

Another option might be nylon mesh.

muck
09-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Not my tank but would be what I would use if I made a top.
IMO it would block less light than eggcrate.

MMAX
09-09-2009, 11:38 PM
What's the best way to cut the egg crate so it doesn't break?

intarsiabox
09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I just use wire cutters and never had any crack on me. I also have a pair of flush cutting nippers that I prefer as it leaves no edge.

Nebthet
09-10-2009, 12:43 AM
I would also suggest to look for some emergency screening as well, if you are trying to prevent gobies from jumping out of your tank. I have scissortail gobies and both managed to jump through the holes in the eggcrate. I was able to save one, who until I got the screening, had repeat suicide attempts, but the first one that jumped, did so when I wasn't home on a weekend.

Van-rookie
09-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Got a piece of eggcrate just now for temporary safety cover. Its clean looking but its blocking too much imo. Perhaps the silver would be better cause it will reflect the light.

When I have more time I will just make the top cover using the metal mesh.

muck
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
metal mesh + saltwater = not a good idea

Should I assume you meant the nylon mesh? :wink:

sphelps
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM

You could use aluminum mesh, the nylon stuff isn't ideal as it stretches easily and can deform and break from the heat from the lights. If you got time you could also string your own net with a custom frame and fishing line.

Van-rookie
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I meant the aluminium mesh, but I am looking for something that has been coated with rust protection. Not sure if that exist or not though.

Van-rookie
09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
With full time job, couple fish tanks, a dog and a cat, I don't think I have the time and patience to string my own net :mrgreen:

My concern with the nylon mesh is also the heat from the light, plus if I want to frame it, won't be as easy as using the aluminium. (I know, I am a lazy person :redface:)

You could use aluminum mesh, the nylon stuff isn't ideal as it stretches easily and can deform and break from the heat from the lights. If you got time you could also string your own net with a custom frame and fishing line.

sphelps
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Aluminum will not rust or corrode so you don't need anything with a coating, it may be better to avoid a coating as it could come off and fall into the tank. Plain old aluminum would be best, when exposed to air a layer of aluminum oxide will form and protect the metal from corrosion, just keep it out of the water and you'll be fine.

hillegom
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
All aluminum fish boats and aluminum lower legs have a piece of zinc attached to them.
This zinc becomes the sacrifical anode and corrodes before the aluminum. If you did not have this sacrifical anode, then the aluminum would oxidize and eventually the high priced boat would sink.
I would not use any aluminum anywhere near my aquarium. Splashes always occur.