PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean

burrows14
09-09-2009, 12:32 AM
right now i use h20cean for my biocube 29 reef tank which is pretty pricey as far as salt goes . im thinking of upgrading to a 120 gallon fowlr very soon. So my question is Do i need to be spending 89 bucks for a bucket of salt or can i get away with the 40 dollar bucket in a FOWLR because ill be producing 5 times more SW a month.

thanks
ray

Myka
09-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Imo you could use the IO for the reef! I have for the better part of 20 years. :D Although I am tempted to try H2Ocean...of all the salts out there that one sounds like there is actually a difference! :lol:

Anyway, no worries using IO in your FOWLR. :)

banditpowdercoat
09-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I use IO in both my reefs. Ohter than adding a little Chemmaster MG and CA (which cost like $20 for 400+gallons) Supplimenting is acctually cheaper than buying the salt that "has it all"

burrows14
09-09-2009, 01:48 AM
haha i know it was kind of a dumb question but i have never bought IO before because i was looking for the all in one product when i started my first reef and i didnt have alot of knowledge of supplements. Im learning everyday tho and didnt relize how easy it was to add elements. is there anything else i should add to IO other than the above stated?

rayjay
09-09-2009, 02:13 AM
On RC right now there is a thread in the Reef Chemistry talking of higher results for the calcium and magnesium in I.O. in the new packaging.

iansfishy
09-09-2009, 02:49 AM
I know people say there is a difference but why does H20 salt and the Red Sea salt that everyone seems to hate have the exact packaging- plastic bag, little twist tie thing, instuctions booklet is the same ( everything except color of bucket), same place of manufacturing and both have the same claims as to levels? yet the H20 is $80.00? I used H20 for two buckets then decided to go back to IO ( because of the price and I just dont believe the hype)everything has been the same through it all. How many aquarium salt manufacturers can there possibly be in the same place in Israel? Its like Shreddies - " oh look they are diamond shaped now!!!"

burrows14
09-09-2009, 04:03 AM
diamond shreddies taste way better than the boring square ones:lol: ha ha Im gonna buy a bucket of IO this weekend and start mixing monday. should i add suppliments during mixing or when in the tank?

Mrfish55
09-09-2009, 04:15 AM
I've used IO for the better part of 18 years now and ocasionally try the "new salt on the block" and allways wind up back at the IO I don't notice any difference performance wise, I believe proper maintenance is more important than the brand of salt you use, even the most expensive salt is not all that effective if you only do a water change once a year. I am in the process of upgrading again and will use IO on the new one as well.

burrows14
09-09-2009, 04:23 AM
dont worry haha I didnt buy the expensive stuff so I could be lazy lol I do a 25% on my biocube every 2 weeks and I plan on doing about 10% a week on the new 120.

mark
09-09-2009, 04:50 AM
diamond shreddies taste way better than the boring square ones:lol:

IO user here.

When I get a new pail, I'll test Ca and Mg and mark it down on the lid so I know how much Ca/Mg I need to add. I'll mix my batch, then supplement in the mixing barrel so it's ready to go. Have a reactor so the tank stays constant and doing a change with matched water not spiking anything.

burrows14
09-09-2009, 05:36 AM
ill probably do the same for testing each bucket. i dont think i could add something like a calcium reactor for a while.

P.S beautiful tank! that is a wicked set up you got going on!!!

bigblack
09-09-2009, 06:53 AM
im running h20 ocean right now and really am not believing the hype, yes the parameters are on but i think it is exactly the same as another salt that is natural that won't be named lol. next time im going to save myself 30 bucks and buy that one.

p.s. i've used both and the reason i think they are the same are for a few reasons, smell, and both mix up with this strange brown residue, plus the packaging.