PDA

View Full Version : skimmers overflowing

bowkry
09-08-2009, 03:23 AM
I have a newer rk2 skimmer and it overflows about once aweek. once all over my hardwood floor. I am running the venturi on it would the needle wheel stop this or has any one else ever had one of these skimmers. I am also driveing it with a mag 12.

banditpowdercoat
09-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Skimmers can overflow for a number of reasons. Mostly, mine seem to do it after water changes. You say once a week? what do you do regularly? Sometimes a little residue of something on your hands is enough to make them go crazy.

whatcaneyedo
09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
I've found that needle wheels will do this all of the time as well if you add anything oily to the tank like grocery store mussle or frozen food soaked in selcon. Becket skimmers on the other hand seem to do the opposite; the foam head crashes when these things are added.

banditpowdercoat
09-08-2009, 04:45 AM
LOL, I got a beckett style and it goes NUTZ at times

fiorano
09-08-2009, 05:35 AM
my BK foamhead dies unless the water level in the sump rises or something then it overflows

whatcaneyedo
09-08-2009, 05:51 AM
bowkry, would a waste collection container work with your skimmer? If it doesnt have a drain in the bottom of the collection cup you could drill and tap a hole for a fitting. Another idea would be to route the skimmer air intake line to the top of the collection cup so that if it becomes full the skimmer will start sucking water from the top of the cup. I'm assuming your skimmer sits outside of your sump but maybe consider moving it into or at least over your sump so that if it overflows it just goes back into the system rather than onto your hardwood floor.

Water on the floor sensor/alarms are another option but not really a solution.