PDA

View Full Version : test kit reviews

Fishward
09-07-2009, 10:45 PM
hey everyone... just starting up my first tank, just looking for some help in picking a test kit. Do different brands make a difference? or are they all pretty much the same? which tests should i get? which ones are absolutely needed? which ones are a nice to have?

whatcaneyedo
09-07-2009, 11:57 PM
There are pros and cons to all test kits. I've used Hagen, Salifert, Seachem, API, and Elos and I honestly cant recommend one as 'the best'.

If you're just cycling a tank right now a Nitrite and Nitrate kit would be good.

For keeping stoney coral later I like Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.

Phosphate is nice to have too but generally you can just look at your tank and if you see a lot of problem algae you will know you have high phosphates (but at least with a kit you'll know how high).

Ryan
09-08-2009, 01:14 AM
A phosphate test comes in handy when vodka dosing.

Ryan
09-08-2009, 01:21 AM
There are pros and cons to all test kits. I've used Hagen, Salifert, Seachem, API, and Elos and I honestly cant recommend one as 'the best'.

If you're just cycling a tank right now a Nitrite and Nitrate kit would be good.

For keeping stoney coral later I like Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.

Phosphate is nice to have too but generally you can just look at your tank and if you see a lot of problem algae you will know you have high phosphates (but at least with a kit you'll know how high).

How accurate did you find the API? Not alot of selection around here for test kits and I need to check my magnesium and calcium.

Fishward
09-08-2009, 01:43 AM
A phosphate test comes in handy when vodka dosing.

vodka dosing? sorry if this comes off as super noob but getting your fish drunk? what does putting vodka in your tank do?

subman
09-08-2009, 01:46 AM
It's a form of nitrate control.
see:
http://www.melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html

whatcaneyedo
09-08-2009, 03:15 AM
How accurate did you find the API? Not alot of selection around here for test kits and I need to check my magnesium and calcium.

From the API product line the only kit I used was for phosphate so cant really answer your question.

There was a good short thread on test kits a little while ago that you might find helpful http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53692&highlight=test+kit

I think most people would agree that all 'affordable' hobby grade test kits dont provide truly accurate results but work well enough for our purposes.

Binare
09-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I find api calcium, alk and ph really hard to read, especially ph.