PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand?

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, I have a question about live sand. Basically wanting to know, is it worth the cost? The guy at the LFS where I used to live told me don't bother, it's the biggest scam out there. Just use live rock and regular subtrate. The person at the LFS where I just moved to, says LS is an absolute MUST.

It seems alot of people use it but I noticed alot of you seem to scoff at it as well. I searched and couldn't find an existing thread so I thought it would be a good question to put out there. I'm curious because if it is worth the cost, I'd like to take out what I currently have for substrate and get some live sand before I put in my live rock.

Leah
09-07-2009, 08:21 PM
If you already have some I would just use it, maybe your friend could give you a little of
their live. I have used both and it all works, pro's and con's for both.

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I currently have argonite substrate in there. I wasn't planning on getting live sand but was a little curious about if it was worth it.

Leah
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I think it boils down to preference. If it is a fish only tank I would just do what you are doing.

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Good to know, I was planning on just fish and live rock. If I wanted to add some live sand, can I mix it in with the current substrate?

Leah
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
You're very helpful :) How many pounds would be good for a 25 gallon? Dimensions 24w x 12.5d

I think I might just get some sand, live or normal, because I like how it looks.

Leah
09-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I used 60lbs in my 72 gal so you could probably use 20lbs as a rough estimate.

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Great, thank you so much.

Leah
09-07-2009, 08:40 PM
You are welcome, don't forget picture's :biggrin:

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Right now the tank is pretty boring but once it gets more stuff added I will post some for sure.

naesco
09-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Right now the tank is pretty boring but once it gets more stuff added I will post some for sure.

At least 2 inches and up to 3 inches will harbour all kinds of critters that live in the sand and allow you to choose certain wrasses and fish that prefer a deeper sand bed.

Most experienced reefers will advise you to go slow to avoid most of the problems you read about.
Ask questions before you buy look at adding one fish per month unless they are really tiny.

Snaz
09-08-2009, 06:24 AM
ask questions before you buy look at adding one fish per month unless they are really tiny.

+1

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Most of my reefer friends & I have come to the consensus that buying "live" sand is falling for a marketing ploy.

Consider a few factors:

Bacteria is what makes "live" sand, "live".
Bacteria multiply like crazy when nutrients are present.
Before they began charging a premium for bagged "live" sand, the standard practice was to get regular aragonite sand & a cup or two of old sand from an established tank to add the bacteria into the new sandbed.
Heck, even the bacteria in your live rock should add bacteria to the new sandbed to help make it "live" eventually.
Therefore, no need to buy bagged "live" sand.

JMHO,

Anthony

sarzeff
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah I plan on taking it slow with the fish. Clean up crew first, and slowly as well. I think just having them in there will be really neat to see. Even after having the tank sitting her empty I am excited to get the rock into it lol

Leah
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
In a 25 gal that deep (2-3 inches) of a sand bed will leave less room for rock

argan
09-09-2009, 02:36 AM
i think its fine for your first tank to buy some of the packaged stuff, just make sure it isn't expired :P