PDA

View Full Version : skimmer problems

ganowicki
08-07-2003, 03:29 AM
I have a 125g aquarium it has about 40lbs of LR, sand bed and 2 fish in it. it has been running for about 4 weeks. I have a Red Sea berlin turbo skimmer and I have noticed that it has not filled up the skimmer cup in the last 2 weeks. the the inside of the cup has a thick mud like sludge coating it, but it never fills with any liquid. I have tried to adjust the air intake to give it more of a wet foam instead of a dry foam, but it does not seem to work. could it be that my tank is too new to be able to skim very much or is it that the skimmer is really not that good or am I doing something wrong??

Jack
08-07-2003, 03:32 AM
With 125g tank and sump and only two fish you might not have much to skim at all. Can you raise the water level up more?

Quinn
08-07-2003, 03:33 AM
I have the same skimmer and I'm finding that the amount of skimmate has a lot to do with the pump you use as well as how high in the water it is. Mine is powered by a Rio (soon to be upgraded to a Mag7) and is about 1/3 submerged. I am getting the mud crap, but also about a cup of black skimmate liquid per week. This doesn't seem too bad to me.

titus
08-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Hello,

All skimmers degrade in performance as more stuff accumulates on the inside wall of the rising tube. Clean it and it'd get better again.

Titus

Jack
08-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Gord.

So how's the skimmer now? Are we still gonna try and make some becketts later on?