PDA

View Full Version : 2 part dosing

burgerchow
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Anybody using 2 part calcium dosing?

I'm using 2little fishes A and B calcium. Been using it for almost 3 months, but my tank parameters still not high enough. Last test was yesterday, done J&L,

calcium 300
magnesium 800
alkalinity around 8

I had issue with low magnesium last month. Added Seachem mag buffer and brought it back up to around 1200, but it's dropped down again.
I've been dosing 30 ml of part A and B everyday. Maybe not enough?

Tank is 120 display, 140 lbs live rock. 50 gallon sump, various sps and lps

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
For that volume of water, using the 2 part dosing will be very expensive. Probably better off dosing Kalk and Mg or better yet, add a Calcium reactor. Just my opinion:wink:

marie
09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
For your Mg to drop that fast I would suspect precipitation...maybe adding too much? or adding it too fast?

burgerchow
09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
For your Mg to drop that fast I would suspect precipitation...maybe adding too much? or adding it too fast?

Marie, what do you mean by precipitation? After adding part A, how long should I wait before adding part B? I currently add part B pretty well right after adding part A. Should I be waiting longer?

burgerchow
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
For that volume of water, using the 2 part dosing will be very expensive. Probably better off dosing Kalk and Mg or better yet, add a Calcium reactor. Just my opinion:wink:

Anthony, thanks for your reply. I'm planning to add a calcium reactor soon. It's just that since my new tank has only been running a few months, Jeff at J&L said that I don't need one yet. I currently have co2 system already from my previous planted tank. Just have to buy the reactor part. Thinking about the new Vertex reactor. What is your experience with Calcium reactors. A lot of people say that they are really finicky, but some say once it's dialled in, just like the Showtime Rotisserie. " set it and forget it"

marie
09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Marie, what do you mean by precipitation? After adding part A, how long should I wait before adding part B? I currently add part B pretty well right after adding part A. Should I be waiting longer?

When alk and cal levels get to high they join together to form a solid taking Mg with it. If you add alk and cal into the same area of the tank and there isn't enough flow to disperse it through out the tank immediately then the levels get too high in that small area and you get precipitate (looks like snow in the water)
Heat will also encourage precipitation, that's why you get mineral buildup on pumps and heaters.
2 part dosing is not designed to raise levels but to maintain them. I would first slowly (and separately) raise MG, alk and cal to desired levels using additives like turbo calcium and super buffer.

Myka
09-07-2009, 07:50 PM
As much as I am a big fan of the TLF 2-part, I wouldn't reccommend it for a tank your size. As others have mentioned I would suggest you buy bulk chemicals to dose calcium and magnesium, and then buy something like the SeaChem dry buffers for alkalinity. It will be much, much cheaper this way.

Calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are all linked together and you will have troubles raising any one and keeping it steady without raising the others. Your best bet is to start doubling or tripling your dose until you get your numbers up higher.

marie
09-07-2009, 08:06 PM
....Your best bet is to start doubling or tripling your dose until you get your numbers up higher.

And stock up on lots of vinegar if your going this route, your going to need it to clean your pumps.

Myka his alk levels are within reasonable range, if by "doubling or tripling" the 2 part until calcium is up to 400ppm the alk will be through the roof.

Start by raising Mg levels back to 1250-1300ppm... wait 24hrs and then test all levels. Raise calcium with turbo calcium until you reach 400ppm, wait a few hours and then test. Add alk if needed to keep at 8dkh.
Even if you go with the calcium reactor you need to do this before hooking the reactor up

Myka
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Oops, I should have explained my reply better. I did not mean for him to be dosing the two parts equally. I meant double or triple dosing of each element separetly until the right levels are achieved. With alkalinity being at 8 dKH, I would not add any of the buffer.