PDA

View Full Version : Trade a new computer for Tank or equipment of reasonable val

bertcmg
08-06-2003, 04:58 PM
I own a computer wholesale outfir and will furnish a complete system in exchange for a Big tank and accesories or similar proposition

email me bertcmg@msn.com

Chad
08-06-2003, 07:08 PM
I own a computer wholesale outfir and will furnish a complete system in exchange for a Big tank and accesories or similar proposition

email me bertcmg@msn.com

Definitely a new approach to getting equipment..

Chad

bertcmg
08-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Well This way you get a $1500 computer for $500 dollars worth of used equipment

and instead of me buying new equipemnt for 1500 I get it for 700 worth of computer equipment ( my cost )

Quinn
08-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Seems to really depend on how you look at it. You can get a brand new fairly high-end system minus the monitor for $500.

Seriak
08-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Not if you like to game!

bertcmg
08-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Well I would not agree with your statement but " High end " is very subjective

I personally use a Dual AMD MP running at 5200 Mhz ( yes 5.2Ghz)

to me at times a 2.7 Ghz system is borderline ( Just ask anyone driving a ferrari or McLaren F1 what they think of the Porche 911 )

Having said that, I believe that by keeping todays and the immediate futures requirements in mind. A 2.5 HGZ system would be perfect and suitable for most peoples needs ( even gamers )

Now I must clarify that a system costing me $500 does not mean its the same system that you buy for $500. That is my cost not what I sell it for retail

Quinn
08-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I hear you. I am running an AMD 1600+ right now and they are available for under $500. However they certainly aren't a powerhouse. Although I would argue that they are acceptable for gaming. I run GTA Vice City, Hitman 2 and so on just fine, the Doom III beta ran, although not too too well, and I expect I won't need to do much to run Half Life 2 when it comes out. I have a GF3 TI200 video card.

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 12:20 AM
For Gaming you need a lot of fast RAM and a great Video Card like Nvidia's FX or even better yet ATI 9700 Pro ( I have :-)

As long as you have more than a 1000MHZ cpu your are fit to go

Samw
08-14-2003, 12:40 AM
I just bought some parts and upgraded my old system

-Pentium 4 2.4Ghz 800 FSB CPU
-Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
-PC3200 DDR 2x256 MB 400MHZ RAM
-Aspire Turbocase X-Dreamer computer case w/ Temp sensor
-Maxtor 80 Gbyte
-Vantec ez Swap mobile hard drive rack w/ Temp sensor and alarm

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 12:49 AM
OK now that we are totally off topic here are the specs on my monster

Dual AMD MP 2100 Mhz each ( overclocked to 5200 mhz)

ASUS Modo ( dual )

15,000 RPM SCSI HARD DISC 35 Gig and one 180Gig Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive

2 Gigs ( yes 2 gigs )PC3200 Registered RAM

Adaptec SCSI Card

ATI Radeon 9700 pro

21 Inch screen

On board Sound ( I know I have to change that )

All this mated to a 6 Meg DSL service makes life sweet ( until my girl kills the fun )

Any wayback to reefs now

Offers still up Anyone want anything I can get almost anything as long as its computer related

Stretch
08-14-2003, 01:30 AM
OK now that we are totally off topic here are the specs on my monster

Dual AMD MP 2100 Mhz each ( overclocked to 5200 mhz)

ASUS Modo ( dual )

15,000 RPM SCSI HARD DISC 35 Gig and one 180Gig Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive

2 Gigs ( yes 2 gigs )PC3200 Registered RAM

Adaptec SCSI Card

ATI Radeon 9700 pro

21 Inch screen

On board Sound ( I know I have to change that )

I'm sorry but i'm gonna call BS on your "monster system" running a dual processor system i do not doubt, but i really doubt the overclock you claim to have. the stock speed of the 2100+ is 1.73ghz. 2100+ is only the perfomance rating for AMD to compete with intel processors. you claim you run the processors at a speed of 5200mhz. thats a 3470 mhz increase over stock speed. when running a dual system having 2 processors running at 1.73ghz does'not equal 3.46ghz. You may have a overclock but yet to for increase of speed but 200mhz many people use watercooling inorder to keep the processor from burning up, but yet you make no meantion of watercooling. Dual processors DO NOT double your speed. Dual procs are meant to distribute the work load between the two procs.

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 02:32 AM
O YA go over to overclockers.com and educate yourself. Do that before calling anyones BS

One thing that your are right about 4200 Mhz instaed of 5200 Mhz

Also I would like to clarify that the Video Card is overclocked with RivaTuner not CPU

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 02:39 AM
And you are Wrong because Dual processors do double your speed , Its just that there is not enough software out there that is designed to take advantage of MP

Quinn
08-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Ok let's all calm down, they're just plastic boxes after all. I figure you can spend thousands and thousands from month to month to stay on top of technology, or you can spend about a grand a year and be adequately set up. If I were going to blow money on something, I wouldn't put it into a computer. Maybe a reef aquarium or something - oh wait, I already do that.

Bert, what kind of price can you get on blank CD-R's? If you can get them to Alberta for about $0.30 each including shipping, I'd be very interested.

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 02:49 AM
I think we both have the same source Are your's Fuji too ?

Quinn
08-14-2003, 02:56 AM
No, in the past I've had Xenon (no idea where they're from, but they were pretty good), then some generic white/blues, now generic silver/greens, which I am low on. My plan to import them from the USA didn't work out.

Stretch
08-14-2003, 04:01 AM
O YA go over to overclockers.com and educate yourself. Do that before calling anyones BS

One thing that your are right about 4200 Mhz instaed of 5200 Mhz

Also I would like to clarify that the Video Card is overclocked with RivaTuner not CPU

The highest overclock for the 2100+ is only 2175 thats still only 4300mhz by your math :rolleyes: and they sure as hell are using water cooling

look at this thread i've made about this thread on another http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182103&perpage=15&pagenumber=1site

And you are Wrong because Dual processors do double your speed , Its just that there is not enough software out there that is designed to take advantage of MP

we are in agreement (see link) 2cpus do not equal twice the power, the workload is distributed arcoss the two CPUS. I can put two V-8 engines in my truck that doesn't mean i have twice the power. If your running window XP pro which you should for a dual system right click on my computer got too system properties tell me the speed in says on there.
there may be a few program to use twice the power but the whole ponit of SMP is share the workload on the cpus

heres an article on SMP http://2cpu.com/FAQ/2cpusmpfaq.html

but to say you have twice the power all the time is unreallistic

Why would I want a multiprocessor system if not many apps support SMP?

An SMP-capable Operating System will distribute load as evenly as possible across multiple processors. This makes multitasking very efficient. Way back when I was running a dual P-Pro 200 system overclocked to 233, I played an MP3, burnt a CD, and played Quake 2 all at once without any of those programs hiccupping. On my dual Xeon today, I can encode MP3's, watch videos, burn a CD, and play Quake 3. (The dual monitors help.)
In addition to performance benefits, there are reliability benefits as well. How many times have you had an application crash and hang your system because it's utilizing 100% of your processor? Well, with an SMP system, only once processor would be maxed out, leaving you another processor to close down the errant application. If you like to multitask, you'll find SMP is your new best friend.

Chad
08-14-2003, 06:35 AM
I think this thread has moved beyond the buy/sell/trade forum...

Chad

Aquattro
08-14-2003, 07:18 AM
I think this thread has moved beyond the buy/sell/trade forum...

Chad

Indeed it has. Please continue this in the lounge if it needs to be continued. Thanks!! :razz:

bertcmg
08-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Streach I wont debate you on the subject of MP because you and your buddies are obviously unarmed.

Now go and get a life

Admins Please close this thread I will have to start another one some other time because this one has lost all relevance

Doug
08-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Closed by request.