PDA

View Full Version : light acclimation suggestions

Jack
08-06-2003, 03:32 AM
How much caution and what measures would you take with upgrading from 250w to 400w Iwasaki's? I just bought a setup off Marc. Bulbs are 9 months old but I don't think Saki's loose all that much par. How careful should I be.

I was on a 12 hr photo period before. 10hr MH with 12hr 220w VHO actinic.

My 400w Bulbs are at 8" off the water.

Jack
08-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Can anyone share experiences?

robbyville
08-06-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm sorry Jack but I do not have too much experience with this. What I can tell you is that I just upgraded my PC's to MH's (With the pc's as supplemental lighting). the first couple of days, temp and algae were issues. I have cut back the photoperiod by two hours on the MH's, and reconfigured my fans. I have had no problems since and intend to gradually increase the period over the next two weeks.

HTH until someone with more concrete experience comes along!

Rob

kari
08-07-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm also upgrading lighting on part of my tank from 175w MH to 250w HQI MH. Can't really give you any specific info but I can suggest to start with a very limited photo period on new lighting and increase say 1 hr/day +/-. I noticed an acro in my tank almost bleach ( lost a lot of color ) just by removing an overhanging monti cap. I suggest waiting for the smarter guys on the board to reply or just use patience and bring up the photo period very slowly if you have many light sensitive corals.

Kari

Jack
08-07-2003, 12:40 AM
My tank is all SPS but I was just curious on how many hours I could start with before ramping up my lighting period.

Thanks for all replys.

Jack
08-07-2003, 03:38 AM
Okay, so I took the screen off my window tonight and put it over the tank to diffuse the new lights. There aren't many bugs in BC anyways :wink: Im starting a 4 hour photo period and l will raise it by 15 minutes a day for a week then remove the screen then continue the 15 minute thing till I get to 9 hours.

zulu_principle
08-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Sounds like a good plan jack.

Wendell