PDA

View Full Version : When To Set Up Refugium

intarsiabox
09-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I am just adding water to my new tank and my sump has a section for a refugium. Should I cycle the water first before adding macro algae or get it started right away? All my live rock has corals attached to it so I don't want to transfer any of it over for awhile but am planning on buying at least one piece to get the cycling going.

intarsiabox
09-06-2009, 04:19 AM
bump, anyone?

Eyford01
09-06-2009, 04:41 AM
honestly i am not really sure weather it would be better to add it now or later but from the sources i've read it might be better to wait otherwise it could steal the ammonia and nitrite the bacteria need to grow and complete the cycle, i think it would go along the same lines as not doing water changes during the cycle

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-06-2009, 05:40 AM
You can add the macro right away & it will help suck up any nutrients present during the cycling process. I use 6500k Phillips Daylight CFL bulbs with clip on desk lamps (about $5-8 at Canadian Tire for the light).

Anthony

intarsiabox
09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank-you for the responses. I have some of the CF bulbs you are talking about as I made a canopy with 8 of them over my daughters FW tank. I will have to check out Canadian Tire for the fixture as I still need to get one. I think I will start off with a small clump of cheato to get things going and add more down the road if needed.:smile: