PDA

View Full Version : Need a recomedation CA reactor or 2 part dosing?

subman
09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm looking for advice on a calcium system. I have a Profilux controlling the system and I could add dosing pumps (which I am leaning toward) or a calcium reactor. Any opinions would be appreciated or some good links for reasearch either way.
Thanks

intarsiabox
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I have been 2 part dosing on my tank but it is only 20g. On a 90g tank such as yours a set of 32oz bottles of B-Ionic would only last about 40 days using the recommended starting dosage. Depending on demand this could easily become less than a month. My point is that it may be a lot more expensive dosing in the long run than using a reactor. I have no experience using reactors so this is only something for you to think about.

o.c.d.
09-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I started with the aqua medic doser and very finicky many little adjustment and I seemed to always messing with it. I finally purcased a PM calcium reactor and I'm very happy with the purchase. Hardly touch it, once dialed in every 3 months or so I get a new tank filled and exchange for 10 bucks. I also have noticed very good and stable water params. Lots of Coraline Algae growth and my refugium produces macro about twice as fast, making nutrient export more efficient. I really would not bother with 2 part any more.

mark
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
also running a reactor and have to say once I figured they're just for maintaining levels (not to boost), can't see why I would change as pretty much set and forget. I'll still check my levels but it goes months without having to touch, then it's only to bump the drip rate.

Have though thought about going to a dosing pump but only just for something different, not because of any problems with the reactor.

subman
09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Hmm I love the set and forget! I guess I'll start looking for a CA reactor.
Thanks everyone

o.c.d.
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Keep in mine if you buy a "package" reactor, when you go to fill the Co2 tank you may have problems. Some places will only fill their tank and or you will have to wait for your tank to be filled, days some times and not always to case. I bought my at OxyPro (good price)and I just walk in and they take the old and hand over a full one, quick and simple and only hours of down time.

The Codfather
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Oxypro on the south side will do it as you wait as well, this is where i always get mine done.
Bob

subman
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I can just get the co2 from work so that's no problem

fkshiu
09-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Here's a nice summary of the pros and cons of each with the requisite Randy Holmes-Farley references:

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/two-part-and-calcium-reactors-both-are-here-to-stay-which-is-for-you/

Essentially, calcium reactors usually cost more to set up and there is a steeper learning curve. Two-part dosing is cheaper with bulk chemicals, but the cost can add up if you're using programmable dosers and such and if you have a large tank requiring a lot of additive. You must also keep up with water changes using two-part because your salinity will begin to creep up over time without them due to ion imbalances.

If you are just starting out, simply going old school and dripping kalkwasser could be the best method until your tank demands outstrip kalk's capabilities.

FlamesFan
09-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I dosed my 90g for a year and a half with two part solution from bulkreefsupply and would never stop this method for a reactor. It extremely affordable to use bulkreefsupply. I recommend googling it.

wickedfrags
09-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Based on the info in your signature, and assuming you plan on keeping this system up for at least 2 or more years, a calcium reactor is the correct choice. The stability provided by a quality reactor is worth every penny - and you can leave the tank for almost any period of time without an appreciable change in DHK or Ca.

subman
09-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Yep I have a CA reactor lined up already just need to find a reg. w/solenoid anyone know a good place to get/order one.

o.c.d.
09-06-2009, 03:30 AM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calcium-Reactors/c108/p752/Reef-Fanatic-Deluxe-CO2-Regulator-with-Solenoid/product_info.html
This is the one that I bought haven't had any problems.

Skimmerking
09-06-2009, 03:49 AM
well i have a 150 SPS dominate reef and i still only drip Kalk from my stirrer and do 5 gal per week. my levels are still excellent until the day comes to get a doser i have had many ALK reactors in my time i hate them you never get the proper dosing and too many drips here to many ML there not enough bubbles here.

I like the Kalk way for now ,