PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and Alkin

Palmer
09-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading about dosing with Kalwasser, using Calcium reactors etc and recently on another thread I saw the comment that if you get a good salt mix you may not need to start dosing. I may have taken this out of context but is it possible to add enough Ca and alkalinity through your salt mix and not supplement calicum as above?

I am looking to start a nano tank around 28-38 gallons. If I had to supplement I was going to go with Kalwasser and try and do it through an ATO replacing alongside evaporation losses. A calcium reactor seems ideal but perhaps a little overkill for a smaller tank?

Advice appreciated!

Palmer

whatcaneyedo
09-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Another option is to supplement a two part solution or 'The Balling Method'.

What do you plan on stocking your nano with? If you intend to keep many calcifying stony corals and clams you will likely find that doing water changes will not be sufficient (or you'll need to do very large and frequent water changes). But if you are setting up a soft coral nano you should be fine with water changes alone.

Heres an article that may help you decide: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Palmer
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Great article thanks!

In some ways I am putting the cart before the horse since I am just learning about corals and have not completly decided on my tank stock yet. For now I am going with the assumption that I will want some hard corals in the tank. I will need to read that article again a couple of times but I am leaning towards limewater or a Calcium acetate solution based on what I read.

Palmer