PDA

View Full Version : What is a good reliable return pump

megs_clark
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi. I thought id ask for a little more advice, i was wondering what a decent reliable but cost efficient return pump would be. I was thinking of going to JL tomorow to buy one, My tank is a 72 gallon, with a herbie overflow. The drain out the back is a 1 inch drain and im thinking of 2 returns. Any recomendations to set me on the right path. I can either put it in the sump or out, What do you think or what have you tried and liked?

Lance
09-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Hi. I thought id ask for a little more advice, i was wondering what a decent reliable but cost efficient return pump would be. I was thinking of going to JL tomorow to buy one, My tank is a 72 gallon, with a herbie overflow. The drain out the back is a 1 inch drain and im thinking of 2 returns. Any recomendations to set me on the right path. I can either put it in the sump or out, What do you think or what have you tried and liked?

For a tank that size I would recommend an Eheim. Can't go wrong with them. A little more expensive than the Mag drives but IMO a better pump.

Myka
09-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Eheim for internal or Poseidon for external for your size tank. The only thing a MagDrive pump is good for IMO is mixing salt. :D

Since you have three holes drilled, take a look at Herbie overflows. Just do a Google.

Gizmo
09-05-2009, 03:09 AM
I like Quietones better than ehiem. I find Ehiem's plastic brittle and have not had success with 2 of their pumps. Quietone had great output and doens't use a lot of energy. They can be both submerged or inline. I've used them for probably 5 years now and I give it ***** stars cause its inexpensive compared to other pumps. I've never used Mag, but heard good things

megs_clark
09-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi. Thanks for the advice so far, i am going for the herbie style overflow, i got some great advice on another thread on the drilling and overflow for that :O) When i buy the pump how much of a flow rate, or how many GPH should i be looking for for a 72 gallon? Thats where i get the most lost

Palmer
09-05-2009, 03:24 AM
I have had good success with RIO in my freshwater tanks. My first RIO I used for my 125 gallon for 10 years and it still works well. I wanted to upgrade and turnover the tank more so I upgraded to a RIO with higher flow rates and am pleased again with this brand.

Palmer

megs_clark
09-05-2009, 03:31 AM
I was just reading the adds for the eheim and noticed their not self priming. Living somewhere where the power goes out often, do you think this is a bad thing or not a big deal?

fkshiu
09-05-2009, 03:31 AM
My Eheim has been bulletproof for years even though I only clean it maybe once a year. It's underrated too - I've got it on a manifold supplying 2 phosban reactors, my calcium reactor, flow for the refugium and I still have plenty of flow up to the display. It's vastly superior to a Mag and runs much cooler as well.

RuGlu6
09-05-2009, 03:36 AM
if you want silent and reliable get eheim.
MagDrives and "quietone's" are very noisy pumps.
i used to have magdrives and now switched to Eheim.

RuGlu6
09-05-2009, 03:38 AM
I was just reading the adds for the eheim and noticed their not self priming. Living somewhere where the power goes out often, do you think this is a bad thing or not a big deal?

Not a problem if you have it in the sump, or at lowest water lewel.

Skimmerking
09-05-2009, 03:50 AM
IME you want simple go with a internal pump like A MAG i have this mag 12 its been going on 5 years same impellar and its quiet ,but in the end its up to what you want.

Sebae again
09-05-2009, 05:49 AM
I have an Eheim and a Mag. Both reliable but the Eheim runs much quieter and cooler. You only have to prime it the first time unless you take it out of the water.

Doug
09-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Ocean Runner