PDA

View Full Version : New to West Kootenays - new tank, need supplies

sarzeff
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I just moved to Trail, BC and I am trying to set up my first salt water tank. For now I am doing FOWLR, but I need to find some live rock! Anyone know of a store in the area, or someone who could sell me some? A good place to order online even? I have a 25 gallon tank I am trying to get going.

muck
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Welcome to Canreef sarzeff!

Not sure about local but check out some of our vendors on the site. Most are more than willing to ship and are great to deal with.

Ryan

danny zubot
09-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Welcome to the area, and Canreef. I answered your Pm before I saw this post, and left you some details about stores around here. I only know a few guys around who are into reef keeping, but all are really good guys and we're all willing to help out any way we can.

I usually use J&L aquatics in Vancouver for salt supplies because even with shipping it works out to be cheeper. The last shipment I got came the next day too, not sure how long live rock would take though.

mseepman
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

If you are looking for some liverock, I would check with Interior Reef (one of our vendors out of Kelowna) as they are closing down and selling off their stuff. Not sure of the pricing but you would probably get a good deal and can ship something heavy like that through Greyhound.

sarzeff
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey thanks for the info, Interior Reef has it on sale for $7.99 per lb which is not bad and shipping is cheap on the Greyhound. J&L has cheaper live rock but their shipping costs more and it is further away so it might be safer to go with the place in Kelowna since it's only a few hours.

Hopefully I can find some locally or something but if not that is what I will do!

Myka
09-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Take a peek in the classifeds on CanReef too. Some reefers are willing to ship. I have over 100 lbs of live rock for sale. I'm willing to ship it. ;)

freddy
09-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Welcome to canreef,just so you know did a live order from J@L a couple of months ago,it came into cranbrook on pacific coastal and only cost 36 dollars,didn't think that was to bad.

sarzeff
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Freddy,

that's not too bad at all. Did you buy rock? I have heard, but only from 1 person, that their rock is not great.

freddy
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
No I didn't buy live rock just some fish and a buddy got some corals,arrived same day exellent condition.The thing about ordering live rock online is that you don't know what your getting sizes,shapes ect..If you can buy locally to see and pick out what you want is better.Phone kootney critters in castlegar see what they have,I know they have saltwater fish,might be a bit expensive bot here in the kootney's we really don't have much choice.

sarzeff
09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I was just at KK last week and didn't look like they have much, but they were expecting an order. I might phone or head out there tomorrow. If they're reasonable price I will just go for that but I'm thinking about taking my chancs ordering online if they are insanely priced, which they may be.

Petopia in Castlegar might be starting salt but apparently they have been saying that for quite some time so we'll see. I'm supposed to talk to the owner this week about it, as the girl who was there didn't really know.

danny zubot
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
KK is always expecting an order to come in, but I've never actually seen anything new in their tanks. If you do order in from the coast I would be interested in a couple of new peices of LR, just for diversity of course. :biggrin:

sarzeff
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey danny and other west kootenay people,

I'm wondering if once my tank gets going a few of you might be interested in doing a combined livestock order. I'm looking at J&L and even with the hefty shipping charges, it's still cheaper than KK if you buy a few items! How sad is that? They charge $9.99 for a snail or blueleg hermit.

Or if you have cleanup crew extras you'd be willing to sell me to add in as we go along, but only if you have extras. :)

Worth taking a drive to Kelowna even! Stupid expensive West Kootenays lol

freddy
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
IF you get a few people together and do an order from J@l it only costs 36 dollars to fly it to cranbrook on pacific coastal,I have done it,you pay pacific coastal when you pick it up.

danny zubot
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
I would be interested in a few things like fish and cleaners for sure. That is, after my tank is moved. Maybe some corals too.

sarzeff
09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
When are you planning on moving your tank? It could probably work out for when mine is all cycled. If it's only $36 to fly into Cranbrook, I'd be willing to drive out there and pick it up.

Myka
09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Take a look at J&L's shipping website. If you are over a couple hundred dollars then shipping is reasonable. For some reason BC is a bit more expensive than AB or SK. I get shipments out here cheaper than shipped to Kelowna. Makes no sense at all.

Take a look at other vendors too like The Reef Shoppe or Red Coral. They have reasonable prices and may be able to ship cheaper.

danny zubot
09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
When are you planning on moving your tank? It could probably work out for when mine is all cycled. If it's only $36 to fly into Cranbrook, I'd be willing to drive out there and pick it up.

Soon, I just bought the plumbing supplies, $$$ ouch! It might be a while before I'm ready to add live stock now.

robzilla
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
i'd be in for some clean up crew too :)

chris121277
09-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the area,
I usually get my stuff out of Calgary or J+L in Van