PDA

View Full Version : Do people really buy these?

kipsix
09-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Bull Shark (http://www.getahugetank.com/baby-bull-shark-p-2228.html)

Seriously? What about having one of the worlds top predators at your house is a good idea?

But apparently if you're not quite ready for that guy, they also sell black tips.

Keri
09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Bull Shark (http://www.getahugetank.com/baby-bull-shark-p-2228.html)

Seriously? What about having one of the worlds top predators at your house is a good idea?

But apparently if you're not quite ready for that guy, they also sell black tips.

That'll be ok in my nano, right? :lol:

Ryan
09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
What about the reptile keepers that keep venemous snakes as pets? Mot my thing but everyone gets their own joys out of the hobby. Most people probably wont have a tank big enough for one of these but who am I, or you to tell somone what they can and cant have in their tank?

karazy
09-03-2009, 01:42 PM
if i put it in my 10 gallon, it will grow until it fits the tank perfectly, right??:lol:

The Codfather
09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Didn't you ever watch Austin Powers? All that's missing is the fricken lasers.

Zoaelite
09-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Didn't you ever watch Austin Powers? All that's missing is the fricken lasers.

I have sent an email off, hopefully we get a quote back soon. Sharks with freakin lazer beams attached to there heads SWEET!

justinl
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
What about the reptile keepers that keep venemous snakes as pets? Mot my thing but everyone gets their own joys out of the hobby. Most people probably wont have a tank big enough for one of these but who am I, or you to tell somone what they can and cant have in their tank?

There will always be two camps (and a few that fall between): those who keep their pets responsibly and those who fail at life. I know a few venomous snake keepers and they are VERY aware of what they are keeping and take all the necessary steps to keep them properly and to keep unwanted visitors (like kids and cats) away from the snakes. We all know the kind of people that fall into the second group. same thing applies to these sharks. There is a certain ballpark minimum tank size and certain special considerations/measures to take to care for these properly. Very few are qualified to be certain, but most people who are attracted and actually buy into this sort of thing are not qualified at all. I will judge those who are unprepared and/or unqualified harshly because it casts a bad light on all of us, including the responsible aquarists. That's exactly why it's now illegal to keep venomous snakes in British Columbia.

note: I keep a cornsnake and do not consider myself qualified to keep venomous snakes (or sharks for that matter) though I do think they are fascinating animals.

subman
09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I may get flamed for this but if I had an unlimited budget I would absolutely love to have a couple of black tips in a massive tank! I would opt for the black tips instead of the bulls solely on looks black tips are beautiful, Bulls not so much.:wink:

wickedfrags
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
If I had $500,000-$1,000,000 to set up a system for one I would love to do it - primarily for education.

I may get flamed for this but if I had an unlimited budget I would absolutely love to have a couple of black tips in a massive tank! I would opt for the black tips instead of the bulls solely on looks black tips are beautiful, Bulls not so much.:wink:

lorenz0
09-04-2009, 12:40 AM
see black tips are a bit more reasonable than bull sharks. personally i like had one encounter (not to big of one) but i don't see how someone could actually keep one as a pet. reef sharks on the other hand aren't to bad. hell you could jump in the water and not worry about those guys to much.

but its true, there is always someone out there who wants to keep something that should be left alone in the wild or at a zoo. justinl worded everything perfectly

kipsix
09-04-2009, 03:22 AM
If I had $500,000-$1,000,000 to set up a system for one I would love to do it - primarily for education.

Education? Or to help discourage door to door sellers? :mrgreen: I'd pick the latter. (I'm obviously kidding)

It would be mighty impressive to have a tank with a couple black tips or bulls. Just seems like something that should only be attempted by aquariums like SeaWorld and the likes. Again, just my opinion.

I was just looking for a fish to go with my eels. :biggrin: