PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Clownfish freakin!

Tracey
08-05-2003, 04:38 AM
:eek: Ok so Ive had these guys about three months now and all of a sudden I got one of my clowns developing some kinda fuzzy pet on his bottom lip? any ideas wth this is? thanks Tracey

Canadian Man
08-05-2003, 04:41 AM
No idea what it is but Tony (Delphinus) who is on holiday's for another week has had this pair of clown's for 3 to 4 year's I believe. The female for the last 6 month's or so has had a huge growth on it's lips. It still eat's but it just look's ugly.

He has done alot of searching and can't find any suggestion's on what it may be.

Aquattro
08-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Tracey, welcome to Canreef! Sorry you need medical help on your first post!
Is this fuzz growing? Was the clown injured at all in that spot? Water conditions good? When was the last change.

What type of tank is this? FO, Reef? Treatment can vary according to tank type.

Tracey
08-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Its a 50 gallon live rock tank with mostly just fish. Overpopulated Ive been told and all healthy or were till this. water is perfect change water is due this week. spg is at o.o22 o.o21 everything is gran cept fer this? *sigh

Aquattro
08-05-2003, 05:42 AM
What exactly is "overpopulated"? Also, natural seawater is closer to 1.026 S.G., not 1.022.
Do you have test kits for NO2 and NH3? If so, what are the levels?

This sounds like a secondary fungal infection from what you've given so far, so maybe setting up a quarantine tank would be a good project for tomorrow!! :razz:

Tracey
08-05-2003, 06:15 AM
Brad your advice is great thanks. Um over populated is a 50 gal... with um... three yellow tangs, a fairy wrasse, one blue n yellow damsel, a red lipped blenny, and um..well. 4 Clowns. I know I know.. I went nuts. Im a bad aquarist. I will double checck all water levels tomorrow and send spg up a bit. Thanks again! Tracey :confused:

Aquattro
08-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Yup, you're over populated way much!! This will help a sick fish get more sick. My advice is treat the clown in a separate tank, and when it's better, make sure it goes in a less crowded 50g (give away some fish, dude!!)

A generic anti-fungal med will probably help, although it could be fluffy bacteria. Check the packaging for symptoms and treat accordingly. Did I mention you should give away some fish? :lol:

Doug
08-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi Tracey, Welcome to Canreef.

Yep, I agree your a bit overpopulated. I would sell a couple of the tangs and a couple clowns. That would go a long way to help some of the cause.

Melafix is a good treatment for the clowns problem, either alone in a hospital tank or the main tank, {as long as their is no corals}.

Its a great treatment for fungus type infections and fish that have body damage from a scrap or something.

titus
08-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Hello,

Wow what a collection. Can you post a picture of your clownfish's lips? This can help future comers with same situation.

Titus

Tracey
08-05-2003, 03:44 PM
but I love my fish. and they all hang out together. I know Im selfish but they are my buddies. (I dont have any friends) Please dont make me get rid of some fishes? please? Thanks for all the advice everyone and ya I'll post a picture soon as I can.

Buccaneer
08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
How about a larger tank then ? ... something about 6' long would give the tangs some swimming room and ease the confines for the rest of the fish.

Cheers

Skimmerking
08-05-2003, 05:56 PM
:lol:
Well I think it's time for a new bigger tank. I love tangs too ,but i have a 280 gal in there i have :
Achillies tang
hippo tang
scopas tang
bangy cardinal
six line wrasse
basselett
2 coral beauties

i think if you love the tang at least look at a another tank to house the other ones.

just my thoughts

Mike :smile:

Aquattro
08-05-2003, 06:10 PM
but I love my fish...

If you love something, set it free (or find it a better home) :razz:

Tracey
08-06-2003, 05:21 AM
You guys are all great... and thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the advice. Im so glad I popped in here. as fer the Tangs Yes I will get a bigger tank... or maybe just sell them off so they arent so cramped *sigh* as for the clown Im going to administer some antibiotics in a quarantine tank and hope for the best. Melafix doesnt seem to be doing the trick. Again thanks everyone. Smiles

Delphinus
08-13-2003, 02:03 AM
I was curious if there was any update? As Canadian_Man mentioned I have a similar thing going on in my tank. Unfortunately I haven't gone after this aggressively and now my female has very badly swollen lips. I've tried a freshwater dip but I don't think that's going to cut it. I guess I should look into setting up a hospital tank myself.

Doug, Brad, you guys use this melafix stuff with positive results?

Aquattro
08-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Tony, I've never used it.