PDA

View Full Version : tunze nanostreams?

fiorano
09-03-2009, 03:14 AM
so i have been running 4 tunze nanostream powerheads for flow in my tank and i was jsut wondering how other people feel about these? they only do 1800 gph in water movement and i just had my second drive shaft shear off which is not covered by warranty. seeing as my tank is mainly sps and i need a lot of flow are the koralia's a better alternative? i do like the nanostreams because of the compact size but i cant have them always breaking on me and forcing me to buy a whole new engine block.

mandarin man
09-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Tunze nanostream is good product. I have one and like it alot. Make sure there are no snails got into the pump. For the Korlia pumps, you might want to get bigger size to get the same performance as the tunze.

lorenz0
09-03-2009, 07:10 AM
what sizes are you running and how big is your tank? i have been running 2 6055's with no issues at only 80% in my 60gal in a dominated sps tank with no issues

o.c.d.
09-03-2009, 02:28 PM
The shaft shearing off is NOT under warranty? I had the same thing happen twice, and of course the clips all had to be replaced. All under warranty.How would a sheared impeller not be a manufacturing problem.What kind of BS did they try to feed you? I'd send an Email to the rep if your LFS won't do anything. Mine you any parts sent will be delivered buy donkey so expect 2 to 4 months.

yeeg
09-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I dont have the nanostreams but have 4 turbelle stream and 4 turbelle stream 2's...Love them and have never had any problems with them...

mike31154
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
If you're willing to invest in a higher priced alternative (comparable to Tunze pricewise), you might want to have a look at VorTech. In case you're not familiar, they've just come out with a smaller model, MP10. Very small footprint in the display since the electrical part of the motor is mounted outside the tank, magnetically coupled to the wet side. Even the larger MP20 & MP40 models are unobtrusive in the display.

fiorano
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
what sizes are you running and how big is your tank? i have been running 2 6055's with no issues at only 80% in my 60gal in a dominated sps tank with no issues

my tank is a 125 gallon and i have 2 modded 6025's and 2 6045's supplemented with pump flow. it took a long time to get them aimed so the flow worked well between the 4 power heads. i compliment the power heads with the pump as well. i have had these for around a year and a half and i guess its not that bad if only 2 have broken in that time period. hahaha i just think its bs that it's not covered under warranty

Canadian
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I have 3 Tunze Nanostreams kicking around and they are absolutely the poorest quality products I have ever purchased for an aquarium in the last 10 years.

All of them (including the subsequent replacements) have had the shaft in the motor block that holds the impeller in place break loose (that's 6 broken nanostreams if you're keeping count). This means the entire motor block needs to be replaced. I've given up on having them replaced under warranty and now have 3 broken nanostreams I need to just throw away but for some reason I keep them around and they mock me every time I see them :( . Of course I went through the whole broken clips debacle several times as well. Not to mention one of the magnet mounts had a flaw in the epoxy that allowed water to leak in to the magnet causing it to swell and completely rust out until I discovered it.

My Voretech hasn't been without a couple minor problems but it is considerably more reliable. I would suggest forgetting about Tunze and going with a couple Vortechs if the budget will allow it.

fiorano
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
i think i am going to go for the vortechs when i can afford it

dreef
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
You won't regret it,they kisk @$$ luv mine.

fkshiu
09-04-2009, 04:14 AM
I would be very interested to know why your warranty claim was denied and who denied it. Tunze USA is famous for their customer service so I suspect it was not them. Jeff at J&L was awesome the one and only time I had to make a Tunze warranty claim.

Anyway, you can unleash a lot more flow with the 6055 nanostream by simply cutting off the small plastic lip on the inside of the impeller cover and then smoothing it down. My single 6055 can easily push all the way across my 6-footer with this mod whereas before it struggled to push 4 feet across. Took me about 3 minutes to do the mod.

fiorano
09-04-2009, 05:36 PM
nope i was wrong jeff at J&L hooked me up this time so that was awesome. a while ago when this happened it wasnt covered under warranty for some reason but this time it all worked out great :)

RuGlu6
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
I would be very interested to know why your warranty claim was denied and who denied it. Tunze USA is famous for their customer service so I suspect it was not them. Jeff at J&L was awesome the one and only time I had to make a Tunze warranty claim.

Anyway, you can unleash a lot more flow with the 6055 nanostream by simply cutting off the small plastic lip on the inside of the impeller cover and then smoothing it down. My single 6055 can easily push all the way across my 6-footer with this mod whereas before it struggled to push 4 feet across. Took me about 3 minutes to do the mod.

I will buy nothing but Tunze for my internal flow.

I also did the above mode and it worked great. My 6055's are now at less then 50% power in my 36" long tank.
As for the warranty J&L did replace all broken clips on my 6055's, very first pumps were made with wrong plastic material.
i think this goes with a lot of companies, because of money greed.
However Tunze stood up and did great with warranty coverage.
Hopefully they did learn the lesson, because it caused them a lot more in the long run.