PDA

View Full Version : New setup and equipment

Ryan Joel Smith
09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Ok people, i need some advice!

I am going to be firing up my oceanic 58 gallon with over flow trickle filter, sump, and skimmer(will need to upgrade sooner than later), in the next few weeks and need some help picking out equipment. For lighting i'm running 1x 400W Halide+2x 65WPC Actinics. As fars as lighting and filtration go im more than covered for now. Before when i had my reef tank set up i did not get into the higher end equipment and tried to diy pretty much everything which is great but some things are just better bought off of the shelf. I've been looking at the Profilux III EX soon to come out but am unsure of what wave makers i need to use along side of it. The Tunze seem way to pricy but i'm not sure if there are any more sensible sustitutions i can make as the controller is already $700. I want to stay with the controller i mentioned so that later on down the road i am not restricted by a less comprehensive unit.........

Main Questions are: 1) What kind of wave makers should i run
2) How many
3) And what level of flow will do the trick withou overkill

Secondary: 1) In the future what are the most cost effective Calcium Reactors or other Accessories that would help ensure all of my basis are covered in a quick and efficient way.

As i said, my first tank was a bit of a "guess and go" that luckily worked very well but i think i'm ready to step it up this time and get more involved on the "techy" side of Marine tanks.......

Opinions or ideas are very welcome!

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Joel Smith
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Just as a reference, this is the exact same tank that i am setting up in regards to the size....it's actually quite impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N6nQ11akyk

Thanks again,
Ryan

Doug
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Ok people, i need some advice!

I am going to be firing up my oceanic 58 gallon with over flow trickle filter, sump, and skimmer(will need to upgrade sooner than later), in the next few weeks and need some help picking out equipment. For lighting i'm running 1x 400W Halide+2x 65WPC Actinics. As fars as lighting and filtration go im more than covered for now. Before when i had my reef tank set up i did not get into the higher end equipment and tried to diy pretty much everything which is great but some things are just better bought off of the shelf. I've been looking at the Profilux III EX soon to come out but am unsure of what wave makers i need to use along side of it. The Tunze seem way to pricy but i'm not sure if there are any more sensible sustitutions i can make as the controller is already $700. I want to stay with the controller i mentioned so that later on down the road i am not restricted by a less comprehensive unit.........

Main Questions are: 1) What kind of wave makers should i run
2) How many
3) And what level of flow will do the trick withou overkill

Secondary: 1) In the future what are the most cost effective Calcium Reactors or other Accessories that would help ensure all of my basis are covered in a quick and efficient way.

As i said, my first tank was a bit of a "guess and go" that luckily worked very well but i think i'm ready to step it up this time and get more involved on the "techy" side of Marine tanks.......

Opinions or ideas are very welcome!

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,
Good idea with the controller, although I have not used that one I do use an RK2 and would be lost without it. If you're going with that unit, perhaps their balling method would suit you. Also many are now just dosing 2 part instead of a reactor. I and some others use Chemmaster products for dosing or many makes their own.

Of course if a co2 reactor is your preference, nothing wrong with that. Lots of good quality ones on the market.

Either Tunze or Vortech is the way to go for current. I ran Tunze stream since they first came out and always liked them but now run Vortech pumps.

A trickle filter is not needed, unless one is going fish only with limited live rock. The rock itself and sand bed if used, is usually more than enough bio filtration for most tanks.