PDA

View Full Version : ELOS Aqua Test KH

lx5litre
09-01-2009, 05:22 AM
I have a new test kit for elos aqua test KH KH Alkalinity Test-Carbonate Hardness.
I did a test but was wondering if anyone can clarify this step.
Each drop of reagent corresponds to one degree of hardness. The total number if the drops used equals the total hardness of the solution in dKH (German carbonate hardness) for example 8 drops = 4 dKH. The steps seem to contradict eachother. In total I used 14 drops, so is the final result 14dKH as the first step, or if you use the example my final result would be 7dKH.
There is probably a simple solution to this but you have to remember I am a newbie.
Thanks,

lobsterboy
09-01-2009, 05:27 AM
there were a batch of test kits that had wrong directions.

the red insert KH card is correct.

1drop = .05 dkh.

12 drops = 6dkh.

globaldesigns
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I use the same kit, what you state is correct... I actually use 2.5 ml of water and then test, then take the number of drops to be actual... It saves alot of regeant making the kit last longer and over time I have found that to be as accurate as doing the 5ml recommended procedure.

Koresample
09-02-2009, 04:26 AM
I use the same kit, what you state is correct... I actually use 2.5 ml of water and then test, then take the number of drops to be actual... It saves alot of regeant making the kit last longer and over time I have found that to be as accurate as doing the 5ml recommended procedure.

+1 my instructions say that when you use 2.5ml it is one dKH per drop or 1/2 dKH per drop when you use 5ml of water.

Johnny Reefer
09-02-2009, 04:36 AM
I can't believe these test kits, with the contradictory instructions, are still available on store shelves. This has been going on a long time. I woulda thought they'd all be sold by now :rolleyes:.

globaldesigns
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree, the instructions suck....

The MG one, when they changed it wasn't fun, I wasted a bunch of regeant until I finally figured it out, very easy now, but I wasted quite a bit of the kit.

They are very accurate though, but pricey... If anyone can recommend a kit that is easy to use but accurate please let all of us know. There are lots and I have never switched, but will always take the recommendations of others, especially if the kits are cheaper.

Johnny Reefer
09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree, the instructions suck....

The MG one, when they changed it wasn't fun, I wasted a bunch of regeant until I finally figured it out, very easy now, but I wasted quite a bit of the kit.

They are very accurate though, but pricey... If anyone can recommend a kit that is easy to use but accurate please let all of us know. There are lots and I have never switched, but will always take the recommendations of others, especially if the kits are cheaper.
Me too. I switched back to Salifert.

globaldesigns
09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I hear Salifert is good, is it as good or better than ELOS? I might have to look into that.

Johnny Reefer
09-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I found Salifert to be the same, results wise, but less complicated. So, overall...better.

megs_clark
09-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi. I just bought this kit from J L and it says to use 5ml and one drop =
0.5ppm
So what your saying is that i can just put in 2.5 ml of water and one drop will then = 1ppm? That is good to know,