PDA

View Full Version : Help on buying a 120g

Reeferized
09-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi all, Clint here,

I'm new to SW, and have been lurking around the board, learning what I can over the last 3-4 months, and making many stops into different LFS to ask and learn about SW tank care. I have also been reading a lot, and monitoring Can-reef and Reef Central boards for about the same time. I've also been watching used equipment sales around town for a while as well.

I'd like to get into the hobby, and try and limit my mistakes where possible. I'd like to start with a 120 gallon mixed reef setup, with easy to care for corals and fish. I am finding that used prices on tanks range depending on age, condition, scratches, type of glass, bracing, etc, etc. I am also Leary of what was in the tank before, like chemicals, rodent/reptile waste, etc. I am starting to lean toward just getting a new tank, possibly drilled already, and starting fresh. I like to do things right the first time if possible, even if it costs a little more. On the downside, I'm far from rich, and need to watch where ever penny go's. I've heard some good things about some of the hand built tanks from around town (Calgary), and am wondering if anyone can suggest a good deal or a location were i can acquire a quality 120 (4x2x2) tank, (for a great price) and if anyone has one, and can show pics of the quality.

Any helpful advise is much appreciated.

Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks in advance,

Clint

Ryan
09-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Somone on here bought a 180 gallon and had to put it together themselves. But I remember it was CHEAP somthing like $350 bucks for all the glass. Your 120 wouldnt be that much but for a new tank its tough to beat that if your confident in building one yourself. Red Coral would be happy to drill the holes for you as well.

Reeferized
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Ryan,

Yeah, I've used silicone lots in the last 20+ years of my mechanical career, and don't have to much fear of putting one together if the pieces were cut and edged right. I also don't mind spending a few extra bucks to have someone with all the right tools and gear to do if for me. :biggrin:

Anyone know if purchasing pre-cut/finished (ready to be put together) glass sheets in a good/available option, and where I might purchase the glass.

I think I'll hit up Kevin at RC today for a quote on a new tank. I'm pretty handy with wood, and think I can build myself a good stand no problem.

Thanks,

Clint

Ryan
09-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Bow Valley Aquariums (I think thats the name) was the place the glass was purchased. I beleive the person said it was another $150 to have it built. I dont know what anyone else would price you just going off what I can remember.

burgerchow
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I just set up a new Aqueon ( all glass aquarium) 120 48x24x24 a couple months ago with dual overflows. Bought it brand new for $580, plus $110 for the overflow plumbing kits for the Dursos. Tank works like a charm. Go new if you can afford it.

Reeferized
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Burgerchow,

What Diameter overflow holes does the tank have?