PDA

View Full Version : random frustrations...

raisemyrent
09-01-2009, 01:29 AM
OK, so I have my 10gal that I keep talking about but not showing to you (I WILL attach a FTS as it stands right now just for you then), and I just purchased a blue leg hermit that just WON'T move... he's in, acclimated for 2hrs (started with drip, slowly dumped water etc)... but he just won't leave the spot I put him on... he IS alive, I moved him a round a bit and he moves and is flicking his stalk things he has (not quite the antennae) as if eating, but that's it... I was feeding today so I turned off the p-head (my fish eat with it on regularly), and I spot fed him a mysis shrimp; he ate it without hesitation... not rushing though, just plain old meal. But he WON'T move!

any ideas? p.s. he's been in there for over 24hrs now

also, this I know what happened and all, I'm just angry at myself... I was moving the frogspawn a bit because it was overlapping with a r. florida that is growing very well, and well, I "decided" to use the turkey baster... you can see where this is going: I ended up squeezing the baster and sucking in (and cutting off) a few tentacles... I felt terrible! I butchered my best coral! this frag (3 heads) has grown really well in my tank this summer, now one of the heads looks like jack the ripper took a swing at it! aarrgh!! I KNOW it will grow back and recover, but geez!

anyways, here's the tank shot. Oh wait, list of stuff in here: 2 astrea snails, 1 stomatella snail (hitchhiker), blue hermit crab (nameless still), o. clown (Xavi), yellow watchman goby (Hank), small GSP, 4 branches of green candy cane (diff. sizes), 2 red mushrooms (one huge one a baby), a few red zoas, some orange soaz (frag plug), a green/lilac mushroom covered rock (with AN orange zoa for good measure), a red/green small brain, orange/purple r. florida (big), orange/green r. florida (medium), green r. florida (small), the spirit of 3 long gone sexy shrimps and a nassarius snail, and a butchered frogspawn 3 head...

kien
09-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Your hermit crab could just be totally freaked out. If he's alive, give him time. You could also try to ease his fears by placing him in a cave or under a overhang where he doesn't feel as exposed to the world. He could just be extremely skittish (I have some of those in my tank). Once spooked it takes them FOREVER to come out of their shells. You can also place some meat near them so that they can easily eat without having to travel into the big unknown to hunt for food. Again, would help him with the transition.

Leah
09-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Maybe the crab needs a friend

hillegom
09-01-2009, 04:01 AM
maybe he moulted recently and needs time for the shell to harden.

raisemyrent
09-01-2009, 05:04 AM
maybe... I am hesitant of adding another crab because they tend to fight... I used to get it all the time in my olde nano (6gal)... Basilius will be the only crab in my tank, I think...

I believe he was just SPOOKED. I moved him around so that he wouldn't face "the world" which Xavi (o. clown) LOVES btw (he greets me when I get home and plays "high fin")... and then I put him on a rock to try to get a reaction (my theory was that he had a shell too big for him to haul around), and he VERY slowly climbed down the rock (a funky arch) and settled for a reclusive spot. He's surrounded by green algae and cyano (which sounds terrible but isn't), so he shouldn't be hungry in there...

when he gets used to me in the glass and all (like, say, Hank, the watchman goby, with whom I have stare downs), he will probably wonder around, I hope.

In the meantime I will keep spot-feeding him every now and then so that he doesn't starve...

and yes he seems really cautious in his movements... he may just have moulted recently... he was upside down at the store when I bought him... if that makes any difference

thanks for the replies!

PuffLuv
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
now one of the heads looks like jack the ripper took a swing at it!
LOL! I'm sorry to hear, however you just made me laugh! I would keep a close eye on him for a brown jelly infection. Nice nano by the way!:biggrin: Also, just out of curiosity, are you using Instant Ocean for salt? The reason I ask is because of this link: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=55535
(http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=55535)