PDA

View Full Version : Deltec MCE 600 Owners

TAZ
09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I was able to buy this skimmer from a friend of mine, for a steal. Great for me as I have been running without a skimmer for the last 6 months. In just 2 days I went from having Nitrate readings that were extremely high to virtually zero ...woohoo.

The skimmer has been on my tank for almost 2 weeks now, and I still seem to get a very wet skim and not the deep dark gunk, you would expect. I know that is is just a matter of trying to get the best setup for this unit so I am hoping to see what other owners of this skimmer have.

I have the air valve set at 2 (as recommended), but for the skimmer box I have tried it in many different positions but always just get the same kind of skim. Whenever I move the box I give it a couple days, but still see the same results. This unit is on my 66 Gallon tank that is not heavily stocked (6 fish).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Skimmerking
09-01-2009, 01:04 AM
just remember that skimmer can handle a load load of 150 stated. Now you have a light bioload of a 65 gal right so your not going to be able to pull goo put like crazy.

I have a deltec 851 and i use the same air valve as you. I run mine on a 1 position and some times at 12 oclock. the key is finding the sweet spot. try putting the cup as high as you can and run it wide open with no air vavle .. for a few hours ,but watch it ....

JPotter
09-01-2009, 02:30 AM
I have one the end of a 30 gal. I set the catcher just at the froth line. Initially I got wet skimmate and now thich green/brown gunk that I can scrape out with my hand.