PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Crab

Lofus
08-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Just found a big nasty looking crab. I think he is a mithrax. Any thoughts on catching him?

Quinn
08-04-2003, 05:30 AM
Bev has had limited success baiting a tumbler and setting it in the tank at a 45 degree angle. If you catch him, do you have a sump he can live in? It always seems a shame to me that an animal that managed to survive a plane ride from the south pacific has to die because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lofus
08-04-2003, 05:46 AM
I was thinking of dropping him in my sump as a cleaner upper or seeing if anyone on the board here wanted it..

I'll give the tumbler a shot. Thanks

Beverly
08-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Bev has had limited success baiting a tumbler and setting it in the tank at a 45 degree angle.

The last crab I tried to trap the way Quinn explained would not take the bait even after setting the trap three nights in a row. Since the tank it was in had no inhabitants yet, I pulled out all the rock where I thought the crab would be and looked it over with my reading glasses and flashlights. Examined rock went into a pail of outgoing changewater from another tank.

Didn't find him on the way out of the tank, so looked over each rock again before putting it back into the tank. Found the HUGE monster in a very deep hole. Used a cable tie to poke at him from holes in the top of the rock and he quickly crawled out and we caught it. Took it to the lfs as food for their wrasse/trigger.

Here's a rather poor photo of the crab comparing its size to a quarter:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-72gal-hitchhikers.htm

Glad to have that sucker out of the tank as it is slated to house very young captive bred seahorses :biggrin:

Lofus
08-04-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I have his brother in my tank

Beverly
08-04-2003, 12:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've taken a lot of those same crabs from my tanks over the past few months. They're pretty scary looking and I don't want them anywhere near my tanks :evil:

pocilipora
08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Just curious as to why you want to get rid of the crabs?

Beverly
08-04-2003, 05:06 PM
These are red eyed crabs that can be rather aggressive. I especially don't want them in a captive bred (or even wild caught) seahorse tank.

Here is a page about this crab:

http://mangrove.nus.edu.sg/pub/seashore/text/216.htm

Lofus
08-05-2003, 10:05 PM
put a cleaned out babyfood jar in next to the crab's hole last night. Baited it with a slice of shrimp. So far no luck.

May have to go for the rock extraction method...

Beverly
08-05-2003, 10:19 PM
I baited my small trap for an emerald crab I thought had died, but is still in there eating my coraline :evil: Darned if my grey brittle star didn't sneak over and have a nice dinner from the trap :rolleyes:

Will try again tonight, though, in a different location.

Tearing down a tank is the last resort method of crab removal. They have hiding places so deep in the rock that you may not even be able to find it. We did two passes on the rock with flashlights and me in my reading glasses before we caught the crab out of the new CB seahorse tank. We were very, very lucky imo.

Chad
08-06-2003, 03:25 AM
I have a little bugger in my tank I cannot get out either. I have baited a small test tube that was put up right against his hole and all he does is go about a claws length in then thats it.
:evil:

:snipersm:

Quinn
08-06-2003, 03:30 AM
If I happen to be in town when you catch him I will take the crab. Personally though I wouldn't stress too much over it unless you are certain he is munching on corals or eating small fish and such.

Dresden
08-06-2003, 09:51 AM
i have the same crab in a 10g alone, he eats my prime reef

Chad
08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
I keep finding dead hermit crabs. So I am pretty confident that its this crab.

Chad

Lofus
08-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I keep finding hermit crab parts as well so I'm on the hunt to get him out.

kari
08-07-2003, 12:25 AM
I baited my small trap for an emerald crab I thought had died, but is still in there eating my coraline :evil:

I can't believe an emerald crab can eat that much coraline to be a problem. I have 3 of them and a fare sized black spiney urchin that mows coraline. Still too much coraline here. If you want, I'll bring you slices of coraline and we can attach it to your rocks :biggrin:

kari
08-07-2003, 12:29 AM
put a cleaned out babyfood jar in next to the crab's hole last night. Baited it with a slice of shrimp. So far no luck.

May have to go for the rock extraction method...

How about trying differant bait and location of trap first. Seems easier to me.

Lofus
08-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Still no luck on the trap. Any suggestions on bait?