PDA

View Full Version : Fish Auction this Coming Sept?

Eb0la11
08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Just wondering if any Canreefers were going to check out the fish auction that Calgary Aquarium Society is putting on Sept 27th? Usually its just FW stuff, but if enough of us brought SW stuff I think we could have a presence? I am pretty sure Im going since they often have some decent equipment there anyways, but I also have a FW tank so its nice to check out. Others?

http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/

werner
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, yes, please come! We need more SW/reef people and stuff. Bring your frags!

Non-members are allowed to sell up to 10 lots; members up to 25. The Society takes a 30% cut of all items sold. Email waysmeans@calgaryaquariumsociety.com for a vendor number.

Also- we are holding nominations for the 2010 Board of Directors at the next meeting (Sept. 14). New blood is desperately needed. Here's your chance to overthrow the establishment!

Guru
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Im am brand new to calgary but id be willing since my reef is lacking stuff.

Eb0la11
09-19-2009, 09:47 PM
This is next weekend. I'll be selling some stuff and buying but probably wont be selling any salt water stuff since Im just starting out.

sharuq1
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Gobies et al and I are going. I'll bring 10 frags of whatever I have lying around. We've got two more seats in the vehicle for extra people if anyone would like to come with (pm Gobies et al it's her car).

Red Coral Aquariums
09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes, yes, please come! We need more SW/reef people and stuff. Bring your frags!

Non-members are allowed to sell up to 10 lots; members up to 25. The Society takes a 30% cut of all items sold. Email waysmeans@calgaryaquariumsociety.com for a vendor number.

Also- we are holding nominations for the 2010 Board of Directors at the next meeting (Sept. 14). New blood is desperately needed. Here's your chance to overthrow the establishment!

I have talked to some representatives about Red Coral setting up a booth and selling live and dry goods but it looks like Red Coral will hopefully participate with the "New Blood" in 2010. If anything changes I will ante up.
Kevin

Eb0la11
09-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Im planning on selling 7 fish at this auction. 5 that are biggish, like 5-9" and I always have a hard time bagging them so that oxygen stays in the bag.

Whats the best way to capture oxygen when you dont have a compressor? I was thinking of using a fan or something?

Also, where can I get some bags to bag these guys? I'll need big bags or should I just use a bucket? Let me know.

werner
09-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Ha! I'm useless at bagging fish, so I can't help you much with that. Some fish stores will give you a few bags if you ask.

Buckets aren't really encouraged because of the spill factor. However, with larger fish there sometimes isn't any other option. As long as they have a tight fitting lid, they will probably be ok.

karazy
09-25-2009, 01:24 AM
colby at elite should be willing to give you a few bags. just make sure you tell him evan sent ya.

also, the bets way for catching the air in the bag by hand is by putting your hand on the side of the bag(so that your hand is touching it) and make sure your hand is quite high upon the bag, and then get it to stand straight using your other hand, and then with the hand that's on the bag grab the bag as fast as you can so that you trap in all the air, then twist, put the rubber band around the twisted part, fold the excess bag on top in half and wrap the rubber band around nice and tight. you may have to practice quite a few times before hand as it takes some practice, especially with the bigger bags

Eb0la11
09-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.