PDA

View Full Version : TINY sump tank, is it worth it?

serratus
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I've got the room to use something of this size as a sump tank for a 50gal reef tank:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18525/si1382851/cl0/tomplahouseclearvuemedium

Is it worth the trouble or should I just do hang off the side skimmers?

Myka
08-30-2009, 10:52 PM
What is taking up so much space under the tank that you have no room? The area you suggested is too small for most skimmers large enough for a 50 gallon tank.

You have to spend a lot more money on an HOB skimmer to get a decent one, than you do an in-sump. Remoras IMO are a waste of money, I've had two (the regular and the pro), and I think the only people who say they are any good are people who have never had a better skimmer to compare it to!! :lol: I think the only HOB skimmers worth buying are Deltecs at minimum. You can spend half the money of a Deltec and get a comparable Vertex in-sump. I would suggest you find a way to make room for a 20 gallon tall tank for a sump at least.

Lampshade
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I have a 55gal set up right now, in my 10 gallon sump i'm haveing a big problem keeping my max fill/on cycle calibrated. I filled the tank/sump with all the pumps off, it sat full, so this is my "max fill" when i turn on my pump/protein skimmer my sump level drops enough to cause the pump to occasionally suck air. I strongly suggest going with larger than 10 gal. for your sump.

serratus
08-31-2009, 07:26 AM
To answer your question, the tank is not on a stand. It's on a platform built into the house that's open on 3 sides. There is a small compartment built in under the tank but it's 12" x 12" x 18" but actual usable space is less due to hinges as well as an electrical receptacle built inside. need to make room for the receptacle and power bar so the 18" length gets cut down quite a bit.

Also, I can't have a sump tank that's even near 12" tall or else I'd have problems moving things in and out of it.

Am I out of luck? Should I just give up the sump tank idea?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Poop out of luck I think. You'd have to fit both a decent sized skimmer & a return pump into that tiny space (not to mention some baffles to prevent microbubbles going into your display).

Binare
09-23-2009, 02:27 AM
What is taking up so much space under the tank that you have no room? The area you suggested is too small for most skimmers large enough for a 50 gallon tank.

You have to spend a lot more money on an HOB skimmer to get a decent one, than you do an in-sump. Remoras IMO are a waste of money, I've had two (the regular and the pro), and I think the only people who say they are any good are people who have never had a better skimmer to compare it to!! :lol: I think the only HOB skimmers worth buying are Deltecs at minimum. You can spend half the money of a Deltec and get a comparable Vertex in-sump. I would suggest you find a way to make room for a 20 gallon tall tank for a sump at least.

+1 Deltec HOBs are great, if you need HOB (shudder) atleast get one of these.

banditpowdercoat
09-23-2009, 03:07 AM
I have a 10g sumo on a 45g tank. with a Aqua C urchin skimmer that does allright. Could definately use better skimmer, but with water changes, it's ok

Drock169
09-23-2009, 05:13 AM
I also love deltecs, definitely much better than the other hang on skimmers.

ElGuappo
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
i have the 75 of these. ran it on a 25 for a while and worked awsome. just put it on my 45 so the jury is still out. under 200 and pretty decent so far. only thing is i found it hard to "zero in" to work its best.

http://eshopps.com/hangskimmers.php