PDA

View Full Version : Unicorn tang diet

my2rotties
08-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I am fish sitting for a fellow member. She had to take the fish before her tank was cycled and had to keep her in a Rubbermaid. I told Lee to bring her over and she could stay in my 90g until she is ready for the fish. She had stopped eating, and was very concerned.

This fish is big and robust and did eat the next morning after arriving to my system. However, now she won't eat anything. I have tried everything. I read they are vegans but she is not interested in the nori at all. As I said she is super robust, but to see her not eating has me a little worried.

She did have tank mates and I am wondering if she might be lonely. I know this is humanizing a fish, but it is what it is. I am giving Lee my porc puffer when she is ready, and will be adding him to the 90g to keep her company. I have always found when fish are alone and don't want to eat, having other eating fish with them, adapts a feeding response. It has always worked for me, but I cannot add this tang to my display since she would never be able to be caught to come out. All my difficult to eat fish have learned from their tank mates, and I wish I could put a couple of tangs in with her, but won't be able to catch them either to add them as tank mates. I just don't think a porc puffer would be big help since he eats an entirely different diet and she would not be able to learn how to graze or compete for food.

Any insight or opinions on this matter?

Leah
08-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably a dumb idea but how about some rock with algae growing from it or maybe
a piece of algae soaked in garlic attached with a rubber band to some rock.

my2rotties
08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks Leah, it is not a dumb idea at all. However I tried it already.:sad:

She might just be settling in still but I am always concerned about fish for a long time after they get here. My naso did this to me at the start but she was so skinny I thought she was going to implode. The unicorn is in really good shape, but I still want her eating pronto.

Probably a dumb idea but how about some rock with algae growing from it or maybe
a piece of algae soaked in garlic attached with a rubber band to some rock.

Leah
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Frozen emerald entree-sounds yummy !:biggrin:

Zoaelite
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Frozen emerald entree-sounds yummy !:biggrin:

Soaked in garlic mmmmhhh :lol:.

my2rotties
08-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I have a ton of that stuff, and will try shorty with the garlic. I put Griffie in with her now, and she seems to enjoy the company and is now swimming around the tank exploring a little. I think she has been used to having company and it stressed her out to be alone.

Getting a giant Porc puffer into a submerged bucket in the 260g was a chore... I did it by myself. I had to make sure he stayed submerged so he would not fill with air. Tough thing to do, and he filled the pail when he puffed up in there.

The unicorn seems much happier now and I left the two alone to get to know each other.

Thanks for the help!!!