PDA

View Full Version : building new lighting setup

Jack
08-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Hey guys,

Okay, So Iwasakis are great but my tank just doesnt have thd look I want. And also my SPS are doing okay but I think they would colour up and grow a bit more with added light.

I am gonna get a 400w Radium between my 250w Iwasakis. Its on a 41" tank so I think it might work. If not, I will go dual Radium, if I can sell my dual Iwasaki setup.

But I have some questions if you guys don't mind helping me out a bit,

Whats the best way to get my radium/iwasaki light to mix?

Whats the distance between the bulbs and your refectors?

Oh, and Brad if you are reading this can you give me the name of the hydrophonics store you orderd your Son Agro's ballasts through?

Thanks

Aquattro
08-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Jack, keep in mind the heat that will be generatd from 3 lights. I'm running 3 now and hit 88F most days lately.
The shop is TRIDON on Quadra, but they ordered them from a place in Delta. Most shops should be able to get them.

Jack
08-04-2003, 01:20 AM
I figure the 250 watters aren't as hot as 400's buts that's something to think about, hmmm. Your 400's felt hot and 88 is hot for a tank temp. I've been lucky hitting only 82 on the hottest days.

Thanks for the location. I will ask my local store on tuesday.

Tropical Paradise
08-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Hey guys,

But I have some questions if you guys don't mind helping me out a bit,

Whats the best way to get my radium/iwasaki light to mix?

Whats the distance between the bulbs and your refectors?

Thanks

hi Jack,

I used to have both Iwasaki and radiums on a 3 ft tank. The colour difference is too great. One side is completely yellow, other side is completely blue. I went with 10K + 20K instead.

Best way to mount them in a hood is mount them perpendicular to the front of the glass and side by side (i.e. in a same reflector). The colour will blend better. Hope this answers your question.

Skimmerking
08-05-2003, 02:01 PM
i think Doug you might beable to answer this one.

I have seen the different sides of radiums and iwasaki.
yes the radiums are a nice blue and the iwasaki are a nice bright color.

I think you would like the radium and the iwasaki together.
have you thought of running track lighting from Jayson at
www.saltwater connection.com I have seen the setup and its really cool he has it running on his 300 in his home...
175 and a 250 mounted together.
believe it or not i am running a 6500k iwasaki with 2 actinic bulbs over my 280 !!!! :mrgreen:
and yes it lights up the tank nicley and i have SPS in there along with the softies.
check out the signture in the bottom .thanks to doug again the reactor is running great.
i have a DIY reacor if any one wants to buy it with the gauges ,bubble conter,needle value.
Its ulgy and works great will handle 200 gal plus. single stage... :smile:

Jack
08-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Okay, slight change of plans over the weekend. I bought a dual 400w Iwasaki setup from Marc on Monday for a great deal. So this will be my new setup.

On a side note I have two 250w Iwasaki bulbs less than a month old for sale in the Buy/Sell Forum.